1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Josh Hamilton sticks it to Rangers, fans again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dog eat dog world, Feb 19, 2013.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

RalJon Maryland, home of the Washington Redskins, is an NFL town.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How are crowds in Anaheim since they've gotten good over the last decade, or more specifically, since they added Pujols? I would hope they stay longer than Dodgers' fans do.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Hamilton might be the biggest whiner in the American League. I've dumped ex-girlfriends for being high maintenance, and he's worse than some of them.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It dropped by about 105,000 (almost 1,300 a game) last year from the year before. That's only weird because they signed Albert Pujols and brought up Mike Trout in the offseason. The peak was in 2006, when they brought in 3,406,790, second in the American League. It's gone down a little every year since, now at 3,061,770, third in the AL.

The Angels haven't made the playoffs in three years, though.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Boston's not much of a college town.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

One of my favorite throwaway lines in "This is Spinal Tap."

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

First and foremost, New York is most definitely a baseball town. There's interest in the other sports and teams in the area, of course, just like there is in Boston and Chicago, but it has always been a baseball town. Hell, it used to have three baseball teams. Most cities can't support one.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Now Philly, that's a rock and roll town.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would hope that having Hamilton, Trout and Pujols (among others) would be enough to draw well, but in the LA area, you just never know... I think the perception in the LA area is that unless you're winning, you won't draw well, and sometimes that's not even enough... Obviously, the Lakers are the exception...

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

First and foremost, New York is most definitely a money town.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

you have to be kidding, right?

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/laatte.shtml

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I let the attendance numbers tell me whether a market is a baseball market or not ("town" doesn't work in DFW because DFW is a collection of towns). In 2012, Texas was third in attendance, Anaheim seventh.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/year/2012

In 2001, Seattle was No. 1 and Cleveland was No. 4.

Draft saved Draft deleted