1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Josh Hamilton is back

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CollegeJournalist, Mar 14, 2007.

1. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070305/SPT05/703050344/1027

Sorry if this is too old, but it's a column from the Cincy Post on Josh Hamilton.

Hamilton was the #2 pick several years ago in the MLB Draft. He had problems with drugs that knocked him out of baseball, but he was saved by Jerry Narron, who knew Hamilton's HS coach. Narron was a little upset that he didn't help Hamilton sooner, but they took him in the Rule 5 Draft last year and he's hitting over .500 in spring training so far.

Good to see him overcome his problems and get back.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Dave Sheinin wrote a tremendous, tremendous story on him about a month ago in the Post. He got a hell of a lot of space for it in the dead tree edition and went balls to the wall with it. Anyone who goes back and finds it will have one less story to read in BASW next year.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

If that happens, it will be.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I hope that Hamilton keeps it together and avoids all the temptations he will probably face on the road. I am glad he is getting a second chance after it looked like he had wasted all of his talent.

By the way, could they either make the picture of the columnist smaller or get a high-res photo?

5. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

He's stayed clean for a good while now, he's a father and a husband and he's guaranteed a spot on the Reds roster because they won't give him back to Tampa Bay by demoting him.

I think he's back. I hope he's back.

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

he's also hitting .571 in spring

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Freakin' Devil Rays. They spend all that time on him then let him go. Why not hang on to him for another year to see how he develops?

First Toe Nash. Now this.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good for Josh. It was just sad to see what had happened over the years. Kinda like John Daly, he was primarily hurting himself.

I saw that kid knock 400-foot BP home runs over a greenhouse past the outfield fence at my hometown high school during his senior year at Athens Drive. An assistant coach even got in line to get his autograph before the game as did other home fans. Josh willingly and gladly accomodated everyone.

And his current manager is from my hometown. A super guy ... I hope Jerry and Josh continue one of spring training's great success stories.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Man, Headbutt sure was freaking right about Sheinin's story. Sheinin is all kinds of awesome.

Here it is if you want to read it yourself.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/12/AR2007021201312_pf.html

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

how can you not be pulling for josh hamilton? :eek: ??? 8)

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

He was the #1 pick there college boy!

12. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Thank you for sharing the link to that story. That was some read.

Draft saved Draft deleted