1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jose Guillen to Chef: "You ain't got squat on me"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doubledown68, Feb 20, 2009.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Apparently you either have to be a beaker or an excitable Kansas City outfielder to engage in self surgery.

Jose Guillen wasn't happy with his ingrown toenail, so he got some tweezers, and ripped it out. Thank God he didn't have herpes or genital warts. Yeesh.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1043947.html

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

That did it.

Jose Guillen is my hero.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Between this and him showing up to camp 20 pounds lighter than last year, I think he's done fucking around. I hope he proves me right.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Jose Guillen was perhaps the most candid athlete I've ever interviewed.

He's been a head case, but the guy knows how to hit a baseball.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Freelance, couldn't agree more... at least with the second part -- I've never interviewed Guillen.
    Anyway, when I was in Kansas City over last summer, I made it to a Royals game in which they needed to come back in the bottom of the ninth.
    Guillen came up to bat with two outs, and a home run would have won the game. He absolutely rocked a pitch all the way to the left centerfield wall, and a jumping catch prevented the comeback. As soon as the play was over, I turned to the people who were with me and told them it was the hardest I've every seen anyone hit a baseball. Next morning, JoePa's column said the same thing, so I knew I wasn't halucinating (at least if I was, I was in good company).
    I got sick of some of his half-assing, and the deal with his injury last year got tiring. But damn, dude can hit.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I remember that game.. I think it was against Cleveland, and Sizemore robbed him.

I love Guillen's take-no-shit attitude. If he keep that but drop the drama that plagued last season, he should be good. Having another nuclear-hot stretch like he did in June/July wouldn't hurt, either.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Remember the big scandal about Latin America players having valid IDs that proved their name and date of birth? Some were discovered to be frauds, lying about who they were and how old they were. There were organizations that canned players they thought were prospects but turned out to be 27 years old.

That came about not just because of 9/11 security crackdowns, but because there was a ring of people selling IDs to scam immigration authorities.

Guillen was connected to that enterprise. It took some major behind-the-scenes maneuvering to keep his ass out of prison.

There are reasons why Guillen played for about nine teams in 10 years.

8. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

He's a pretty streaky hitter, but maybe it would help if he had somebody in KC's lineup to protect him.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Smasher, read an article about that and what the Nats are going through with one player.

Do you think Guillen is older, or even younger, than his bio says?

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I've done that. What's the big deal?

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Just to clarify, I'm not saying Guillen used a fake ID. He was alleged to have been a middleman in a scheme that hooked Latin players up with fake IDs, which some people in the government considered an organized crime activity.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Last time I sleep in on Friday. Damn you DD!

Draft saved Draft deleted