1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jordan's HS coach bailed out by journalist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Aug 15, 2012.

1. JohnnyChan

JohnnyChan Member

What he said

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What? Why?

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm really wondering if there's something more going on here than Lake wanting to help out the coach. Maybe some deep-seeded vendetta against Jordan?

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

I guess he doesn't like rich bald icons.

5. turski7

turski7 Member

Exactly.
    @ Azrael - I have read the original piece but I still don't understand why it's Jordan responsibility? I feel the letter comes off as petty, and as others have mentioned, a vendetta against Jordan. I guess we agree to disagree.

Jordan feels he was cut, as many athletes do when they tryout for varsity and are sent to JV, but does that mean he has to pony up to make Pop right? Hell, Pop was given $40K by the government and blew it in six weeks. His family left because Pop wouldn't admit he had a problem.
    Again, this is Jordan's problem how?

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This. I have no idea what Jordan's reasons are, and nobody else does either, but if he chooses not to help then that is his business. Just because he has money, he should come to the rescue? Why? Lake states in the letter, which is total self-serving bullshit, that this man opened the gym for him at 6 a.m., etc. Then why does Jordan hold such a grudge? Maybe he wasn't the coach/mentor everyone seems to think he was before his problems took over his life. And maybe Jordan doesn't want to insert himself into a situation with a guy with such mental health issues who has a "serial rapist" and various other "shady characters" hanging around. I feel sorry for Pop, but does he not have any family to help? I read the original story when it came out, but I don't recall all the details.
    As for Jordan being cut. He WAS cut from the varsity. He thought he should be on the varsity, but when the roster was TRIMMED, he was not on it. Cut.

cut verb (used with object)
    1. to penetrate with or as if with a sharp-edged instrument or object: He cut his finger.
    2. to divide with or as if with a sharp-edged instrument; sever; carve: to cut a rope.
    3. to detach with or as if with a sharp-edged instrument; separate from the main body; lop off: to cut a slice from a loaf of bread.
    4. to hew or saw down; fell: to cut timber.
    5. to trim by clipping, shearing, paring, or pruning: to cut hair.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

He's not his coach's keeper.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I never said it was Jordan's responsibility.

I said you needed to read the first piece to understand why Lake wrote the second.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Self gratification?

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Or maybe he was trying to help someone for whom he felt an obligation.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Let's assume there was a good reason, and Lake felt an obligation towards Pops.

Can we agree the letter was a mess, and would surely not accomplish its "goal" of getting Jordan to help?

I mean, come on, "Mike, buy his house, tear it down, build a new one, and hire a few caretakers." Oh, is that it? And, where will Mike put up Pops while the new house is being built? Can Lake recommend an acceptable hotel?

Lake has set up a website for people to donate to Pops. Wouldn't an emotional follow up to his first story, that mentions the donation site, have been a better idea that the "open letter" he came up with?

Draft saved Draft deleted