1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jordan's HS coach bailed out by journalist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

right, but with the disorder the man has, it sure may seem that way to him. i have some huge sympathy for folks who suffer from that shit. there really is no "normal" for those people.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

There isn't, no, but Lake's presumption that material goods are a suitable resolution is poor discernment.

If Lake wants to write a full-bore profile on why Michael Jordan is a miserable guy, he can and should. He tried, to some extent, with the original Pop Herring story. But the column comes off like all the things he knew he couldn't say in the profile, but damn well wanted to say now.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

wow, alma. that is one mother fucking lucid review of that man's column.
    nicely said.

4. I'm glad Lake bailed Herring out and I'm sympathetic to Herring's situation, for sure, unfortunately. But it was poor form to write it up, glass-window sanctimonious style. This isn't about Herring's relationship with MJ, it's about his every lost relationship. Herring may need a 40, but Lake needs an editor.

5. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Bissinger has done something similar for Boobie Miles but he didn't use it as the engine in a column.
    Gotta have a little foresight as to how this sort of thing will look.
    Again, people actually have to read this stuff.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

wow, that was totally odessa abstract.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, but he's used it to be a sanctimonious ass on twitter and in other forums to defend himself, and criticize others.

8. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

He is also a manic depressive.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

There's every possibility that Lake did what he did out of the goodness of his heart. Again, I wouldn't have written about it, but the fact that he did doesn't automatically change that fact.

10. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Tommy Craggs with a response I very much enjoyed.

http://deadspin.com/5935747/a-letter-to-sports-illustrateds-thomas-lake-stop-writing-smarmy-letters-to-michael-jordan

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I frequently feel genuine fear (no snark here; the fear is real) that I will write something that will annoy Craggs.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The response from Iron Mike Gallego (is there any other sports website in which the commentors are better known than many of the writers?) is pretty fucking classic. That said, Craggs has a few salient points and a lot of vitriol, as always.

Draft saved Draft deleted