1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jordan's HS coach bailed out by journalist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What will happen first? Will Lake be cleared by the "SJ TSA" or will the "Pops" fundraiser be shuttered?

2. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

He said he still can't log on, but said he'll send me some stuff to post here for you in a minute.

3. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

In the meantime, he also gave an interview on the radio about it a couple weeks ago. I transcribed it: http://brandonsneed.com/home/2012/8/15/helping-pop-herring.html

Yes, it's a link to my own blog. Sorry, not trying to pimp myself in all this. I'd copy and paste more selectively but I'm kind of swamped right now.

4. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

Here's Tom on the column:

I addressed the column to Jordan because of his tremendous wealth and power, and because he'd called the guy out in a negative way. Hoped he would take the chance to help someone who's helpless -- someone with whom he has a personal connection. Close the circle. It's America. Free country. Jordan can do whatever he wants, of course. All I can do is ask.

And Tom on why he's trying to help Pop:

He's mentally ill and living in squalor. He sleeps on the floor of a bug-infested house. None of this is his fault. He was a good man before he got sick. We can't cure him, but we can help him live just a little more comfortably. Thanks in advance for your generosity.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If Pops is mentally ill with limited funds shouldn't he be able to go Medicaid Title 19 and qualify for assisted living?

Lakes fundraising efforts are certainly admirable but in reality the money raised won't last long. Lake might better help Pops by helping him file all the title 19 paperwork and getting him into an assisted living home where he can be properly cared for.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

This may sound cold but I know a few people like Pop. They say they are fine. Who am I to judge another's happiness. The same with Pop, I don't hear him crying that Jordan owes him anything. I hear others saying it, but not Pop.

Draft saved Draft deleted