1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jordan/Pippen vs. James/Wade

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 14, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Cowherd's show on Friday was dominated by discussion of a throwaway line from Whitlock's column on the Eastern Conference Finals. Whitlock writes:

"We’ve never seen anything like the pairing of James and Wade. It’s better than Jordan and Pippen."

I tend to agree with the above, only because James and Wade are two of the top 5 players in the NBA, which Pippen never was, IMO. Counterpoint to that would be that Jordan is arguably the greatest of all-time, and the best player will always make the best twosome. It was definitely an interesting discussion to listen to while I was on the road on Friday.

Here's the link:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/LeBron-James-Dwyane-Wade-Chris-Bosh-Miami-Heat-are-no-match-for-Derrick-Rose-Chicago-Bulls-051211

Discuss.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Just another obsession with what's shiny and new.

I'll go with the guys who won something and are two of the Top 50 players of all time.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Wade and James will be in the top 50 when they retire, possibly pushing Pippen out. Until Wade and James win 4 in row, Jordan and Pippen are better, after that the debate becomes interesting.

4. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

I love how Pippen is just described by some here as a throwaway who rode Jordan's coattails. He is THE BEST wing defender of all-time. Better than Jordan. He could rebound, block shots, handle the ball, pass and was an above-average scorer. He is a legit top-50 player. Not some scrub at 48 or 49.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

When Wade and James have won 6 rings together, then we'll talk.

6. secretariat

Pippen and Jordan were great enough defenders to hamper James and Wade. Who's gonna guard Jordan?

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

If there was $100,000 on the line in that imagined game, whom would you take?

Always good to imaginary bet against the guy considered one of the greatest competitors in sports history. LeBron is an icon after all.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Come on back if and when James and Wade have, say, four championships, and then we can begin to frame a discussion.

Right now it's beyond silly. Wade has one championship. The guy who would be the Jordan of the pair has NONE.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I would take Jordan and Secretariat with Jerry Krause on his shoulders over James and Wade.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Marketing deals aside, Wade wears the Batman cape in this duo. James is Pippen.

11. secretariat

If you see LeBron and Jordan as equals, there's no point in continuing the discussion.

12. secretariat

Fuck. Spinal-fusion surgery, here I come!

Draft saved Draft deleted