1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joplin, Mo. gets hit hard

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Matt Stephens, May 22, 2011.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Thoughts and prayers go out to everyone there. It's only an hour north of me, if that.

We've had 3 tornado warnings here tonight, but nothing like Joplin had.

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20110522/WEATHER/110522012/Joplin-suffers-direct-hit-from-tornado-24-deaths-confirmed-thus-far?odyssey=mod|defcon|text|FRONTPAGE

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I had a job interview there once. Drove all the way from Greenville, MS to the Joplin Globe office. Long, long trip.
    Good luck to those folks. Bad weather and flooding have been a killer this spring.
    Prayers with everyone affected in all those states that have been hit.

3. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Those pictures are stunning.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I used to drive through there several times a year going to and from school. Dropped a lot of money one time at the Bass Pro Shop.

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

incredible images from joplin. thoughts and prayers to everyone out that way.

6. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Reports say it was a 1-mile wide tornado that may have been on the ground for up to three miles right in the commercial heart of Joplin.

This video is the freakiest I've seen, and it's basically all audio. Tornado went right overhead of these people:

7. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

There is already a thread I believe on this. It's titled "Mother nature at it again," or something like that.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Buh... buh... buh...

Draft saved Draft deleted