1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jones says ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by joe, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Well, he gave me 50 and then when those ran out, he gave me 50 more. Also, I've never had a hangover. Swear to God. I've puked from drinking a few times (not once since I was 22), but I always feel fine the next morning.

There's a reason I got so many Vicodin. The pup knows. I think I told IJAG once, too.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

If he did, I don't remember. I might have had a hangover.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Well, they fucked up the first surgery, so it turned into three. A month and $50K later, I was fine.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Vicodin? I don't think I got anything like that. As I recall, it wasn't that bad an ordeal. Had it taken out on a Wednesday and was out on a four-mile walk/light jog by Friday. Showed up at my Friday night softball game and tried to convince my friend/manager I could play, but he kept me out.

The real fun part of it was that my boss had given me off through Sunday for the surgery recovery and was all concerned that he might be having me come back too soon (I was scheduled to cover a golf tournament on Monday). So on Saturday, a co-worker and I go to a Brewers afternoon game and then decide to get nine holes in. So we're on the second hole when we look and realize that about two holes ahead of us are our boss and his son. I figured he'd be pissed I was out golfing on Saturday when I was still on sick leave on Sunday, so we spent the whole nine holes hitting shots, then hiding behind trees when the holes my boss was on were next to the holes we were playing.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Ah, that explains it.

And I envy you about the no hangovers thing. Then again, if it weren't for the threat of hangovers I might drink too much too often.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

"I would never fucking say 'fuck!'"

[​IMG]

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Chris Jones meet Pete Hammel

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Only thing missing is the folks at Nye’s Polonaise Room telling the story from their perspective:

"So this foofy-looking douchebag with gay flowers on his shirt parked himself in the bar for the weekend. A redneck who couldn't hold his liquor showed up, too. We were all set to bounce their asses out of the place, but then we heard the queer-looking one was going to pimp the bar in Esquire magazine. It really sucked, but we had to actually pretend like we liked them and laugh at their jokes. We couldn't help ourselves, though. We spit in the redneck's martini."

9. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Jones, loved the article on the best bar. Great stuff, as usual.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I want joe in Vegas just so I can if his 'stache is as majestic looking in person as it is on his BLOG! avatar.

11. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Dammit, for some reason, this thread title has got the song, "Mr. Jones" stuck in my head.

12. Jones

Jones Active Member

Thanks Leddy. See, when I so charmingly encouraged joe to post his, um, post, I was doing so in the interests of furthering the journalistic cause. Through his blog and through my story (available at esquire.com), we can see two vastly different approaches to the same story. Really, the duality illustrates the choices we all have to make the instant we sit down to write. Every story, boiled down, is an exercise in decision-making... Taking what we're acquired through our eyes and ears, filtering it, and presenting it in the way that we feel will best inform and entertain our readers...

Aw, fuck it. I'm trying to smarten up, but I sound too much like Barney after he stopped drinking to become an astronaut.

Anyway, leddy, thanks.

And Inky, that 'stache is stone cold, especially when it has little bits of puke in it.

(Joe neglected to mention in his story that after I gave him a bucket to puke into, he did so, and then he promptly kicked it over on his way to the shitter. I seriously thought he had died in the bathroom. I was like, How the fuck am I going to explain why some redneck bastard from Missouri is dead in my hotel room in Minneapolis? Because we met on a Web site? I think I got about six hours sleep that entire weekend, not in the least because of that peach of a dilemma.)

VEGAS!

Draft saved Draft deleted