1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jones' mag picks Scarlett

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Del_B_Vista, Sep 29, 2006.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Not as much of a mystery as last year's was, at least for the first few issues ...

2. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Seriously, you know what's probably the biggest factor? Do you have a high-profile movie coming out around the same time as the issue? Ms. Johanssen has "The Black Daliah" and "The Prestige" coming out this fall, Jessica Biel had "Elizabethtown" last year, Angelina Jolie was appearing in "Sky Captain", "Shark Tale" and "Alexander" in fall 2004.

3. Jinga_Thomson

Jinga_Thomson Member

I figured that was a factor. They probably try to conceal that fact by beginning the so-called unveiling process six months in advance. That way it seems less like a publicity stunt and more like a thought-out process.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Would Luggie Hit It?

5. mediaguy

Jessica Biel was in Elizabethtown for maybe three minutes. Not that the movie didn't need all the help it could get, but Esquire isn't doing this whole campaign to help out Cameron Crowe's self-indulgence.

Maybe, maybe, if Kirsten Dunst had won, I'd buy into it, but "Oh, of course she won it, Elizabethtown came out the same half of the year." ... Yeah, and the fourth season of "Seventh Heaven" on DVD came out just months later: Coincidence?

Biel is qualified on her own good standing to take home the honors, corporate synergy notwithstanding.

6. mediaguy

And again, fundamentally, Elizabethtown is not a high-profile movie. It's a soundtrack with two hours of random blather attached.

7. Jinga_Thomson

Jinga_Thomson Member

Maybe it's just a buzz thing. Because on physical sexiness, I'm not sure I find Scarlett all that appealing. She is beautiful, of course, but Alba and Jolie and Biel seem to be in a different ballpark.

That said, there clearly is a buzz about Scarlett that Alba does not have. And I suppose Esquire has issues with repeating their sexiest woman, regardless of how famous Angelina Jolie becomes.

8. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I'm still waiting for Scarlett to do anything but look good in a movie. Has she had to act yet? I haven't seen it.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

kleeda - Rent Girl with the Pearl Earring.

The only one I'd hit outta this group is Biel. I'm picky like that.

10. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

We initially thought it was Rachel McAdams ... but in the issue where the girl claimed to have a first name that is 'difficult to spell,' it became apparent Scarlett was the choice.

Any coincidence that she had one movie just released in theaters, and another (Nanny Diares), upcoming?

Can't argue with Biel and Scarlett, though.

11. Jones

Jones Active Member

I don't really know the process behind the selection, but I do know that at a party last Christmas, I think -- at some social gathering, anyway -- Scarlett made it known to one of our wranglers that she wanted to appear in Esquire, and she wanted to do something risque. That grabbed some serious attention, because some subjects -- including Rachel McAdams, for what it's worth -- can be skittish, and to have one ready to go, well... I'm sure that didn't hurt when it came to making the call.

Plus, she has tremendous rockets.

12. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

She was great, great, great in "Lost in Translation"

Draft saved Draft deleted