1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jonah Lehrer Fabricated Quotes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bob Dylan said he was sorry that Jonah Lehrer was fired and that anyone who wants fresh quotes can call him at 555-2273.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I had to read Lehrer's "How We Decide" for a graduate political theory course. It explains how Tom Brady is a badass.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Damn. I never thought about that. Good point.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Thought it was interesting that The New Republic called bullshit on the Dylan stuff way back when the book was published, pointing out how blatantly false much of the chapter was.

http://www.tnr.com/article/books-and-arts/magazine/103912/bob-dylan-jonah-lehrer-creativity

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

This was interesting too. This month Minnesota Monthly ran a feature on 3M. Included this segment:

http://www.minnesotamonthly.com/media/Minnesota-Monthly/July-2012/The-Geeks-Get-Loud/index.php?cparticle=1&siarticle=0#artanc

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That was a hell of a take down.

No kidding. Making up Dylan quotes is insane.

And, I guess there's no good answer for where you got made up quotes, but to say you viewed unedited documentary footage is so easy to prove false.

7. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Next you're going to tell me that the section of quotes he had from J.D. Salinger giving his opinion on Facebook were made up too...

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Is this Lehrer the son of PBS' Lehrer?

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

No. He doesn't have any sons.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Slate further exposes Leherer:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2012/08/jonah_lehrer_plagiarism_in_wired_com_an_investigation_into_plagiarism_quotes_and_factual_inaccuracies_.single.html

He broke every rule:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

He not just gone; he gone permanently.

It's not like he can go back to science, either. Who would ever believe any results he reported?

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

There really shouldn't be any question about it. Then again, Mike Barnicle is freelancing for Grantland.

Draft saved Draft deleted