1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joker in next Batman film

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nolan stated many times the film was not re-cut after Ledger's death.

So far in Nolan's series, NONE of the villains has been conclusively killed (although to have Harvey Dent come back at this point would be quite a stretch).

Pretty much all superhero sagas feature long-running, virtually-perpetual duels between the hero and an arch-nemesis. Among the many flaws in the Burton series that can now be seen in retrospect, was the decision to kill off the Joker, necessitating the bottom-of-the-barrel scraping they eventually arrived at with Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy.

2. I can't find anything saying they changed the ending. I know there was some debate about changing the scene where Joker pretends to be dead and comes in in the bodybag, but it doesn't make any sense to change it so he lives if the plan was to kill him. Obviously the ending is just cleaner if you kill him off and they can't possibly dare to try to have someone else fill that role.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

The fact is, they're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

No matter what happens, Batman 3 will be one of the most disappointing sequels in years simply because there's no way it will live up to people's expectations. At the end of the day, it can be a fantastic film but people are going to wonder what it would have been like with Ledger and will likely not embrace it because of that reason.

Good for them for taking their time, though.

Funny how when Batman Begins was coming out, I didn't even bother watching it in theaters. Then, with the Dark Knight, I didn't give a crap. Then, Ledger shows up in the trailer and I'm like "I've got to see this". Now, I'm tracking this movie like my fiancee is in it.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That's why I don't think the Joker will appear on screen in the next installment. They won't want to draw such direct and immediate comparisons to Ledger.

They might make some reference to him "influencing" things from his cell in Arkham -- especially if one of the villains is the Riddler. Maybe make the Riddler to some extent a 'copycat villain' attempting to emulate the Joker's anarchic nihilism (it's been said for 50 years that the Riddler is basically just a knockoff of the Joker, why not acknowlege it?).

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

When did she have the sex change?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not much of a women's libber, are you, Drip?

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

From an acting standpoint, Biel looks like Meryl Streep compared to Jessica Alba.

8. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Provided Young's shrink says it's OK.......

Always used to see her on Tom Snyder's CBS show before Kilborn took it over. She always seemed so flaky, talking about her shrink and how he was helping her with all her problems.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

After watching Mad Men last night I started thinking Vincent Kartheiser would make a good Riddler.

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I can dig that.

11. EE94

EE94 Guest

I know three years provides a lot of hindsight, but enjoyed the first post on this thread

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

His little dance in his office sealed the deal for me. I thought I was watching Frank Gorshin for a second and I think Kartheiser could certainly play a darker villian that would fit into Christopher Nolan's Batman universe.

Draft saved Draft deleted