1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Join the newspaper revolution

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JoelHammond, May 25, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Easy to do for a website. Not so easy for print production.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Oh man, can't wait to see who is tasked with teaching anyone non-photog who might need to work on a photo to use GIMP.

3. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Update, in case I missed it elsewhere: the ideaLab will provide certain JRC folks with an "iPad, Netbook and smart phone — I chose the Droid over the iPhone. For the next year, we’ll get 10 hours a week away from our regular jobs — I’m the courthouse reporter — to experiment with high tech tools and to report back on how we can “change our business for the better,” in John Paton’s words."

Other interesting stuff in here.

http://www.morningjournal.com/articles/2010/07/18/news/mj3034490.txt

4. CR19

CR19 Member

If I post an idea on this forum for the ideaLab, can I get a free phone, iPad, and Netbook?

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Maybe we should, um, simply report the news and not expect super-high profit margins ... maybe?

But seriously, it's those darn interwebs, lack of integration to social media and a dearth of reader input that's killing 20K dailies out there. Yup, them's your culprits.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I guess open source didn't work out too well if they are equipping reporters with iPads and Windows netbooks.

I noticed the reporter who is twitterpated over all of this had an intern shoot a video using a Flip camera.

http://morningjournal.com/articles/2010/07/11/living/doc4c3927aae06de873782949.txt

The concept is decent, but who wants to hear a reporter ask someone a question or see a reporter writing in their notebook?

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it's JRC. Are you actually going to get those 10 hours a week, or will you be expected to volunteer those 10 hours on top of your job already?

Draft saved Draft deleted