1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Vukovich dead at 59

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Mar 8, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

What's the definition of a gamer? Somebody who hits .161 in his major-league career ... and lasts 10 seasons.

RIP, Vuk. You'll be missed.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BBN_OBIT_VUKOVICH?SITE=PACHA&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Sad story. I remember him from the days when the Astros and Phillies used to do battle.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Damn. He was almost as Philly as Lasorda was Dodger.

I was a fan of Pete Vuckovich as a youngster and I wondered whether he and John were related. (They weren't.)

RIP.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

They weren't? Did not know that.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Pete was of a different spelling. And in fact, John and George were teammates on the '80 Phillies and were of no relation.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You gotta know where the bodies are buried or have dirty pictures of someone's sister to last 10 seasons as a career .161 hitter.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

He was the Manager in Waiting for several years on the Northside under Dallas Green.

The day Green resigned in '87 the reporters who showed up for the press conference thought they were there for the announcement of Vukovich as the Cubs' new manager.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, to be fair, five of those 10 seasons, he played 11 games or fewer. And he never had more than 211 ABs in a season.

Obviously the type of guy you wanted to have around your ballclub, though.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Nice Jericho avatar, Football.

This sucks. I remember watching Vukovich when he played... not the best hitter, but a great team player. RIP.

10. casty33

casty33 Active Member

One of the nicest human beings it was my pleasure to know. RIP, Vuke

And Hondo, I've got to say that for you to make the kind of comment you did on this thread, then you obviously didn't know Vuke and what he brought to a ballclub. He was a leader and a coach in the clubhouse and every manager who dealt with him just loved having him on the team.

This one really hurts.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

casty, a good point indeed. Yet I have to wonder if anyone would last 10 years with a .161 average today. Too much media glare, even for 24th or 25th man on the roster.

12. Jones

Jones Active Member

The truth.

And the way he fought lately made him even more of a man.

Draft saved Draft deleted