1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Sterling's Ichiro home run call

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Is Sterling's real name Harry Moscowitz, or is that just Internet lore?

Here's a scathing excerpt from the NYT story at the accompanying link:

Phil Mushnick, in his time as a sports media columnist for The New York Post, has written more than 270 articles about Sterling. Early in Sterling’s term with the Yankees, he called Sterling a “dishonest, self-promoting clown.” In May of this year, Mushnick had updated his opinion: “He is a narcissistic, condescending blowhard.”

Mushnick rails at Sterling for putting himself before the game, for inaccuracies and for being a shill for the Yankees brand.

“Yankees fans who like him are people who just want someone to root for the team,” Mushnick said. “He’s a waste of a great voice.”

Particularly grating to Mushnick are the times when Sterling begins his signature home run call only for it to be something other than a home run.

“I’ve read where he said he likes to be ahead of the call and that it’s more exciting and entertaining that way,” Mushnick said. “You know what would be really exciting and entertaining? If he waited until it was actually a home run before he launched into his home run call.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/02/sports/baseball/voice-of-yankees-draws-high-ratings-and-several-critics.html?_r=3&pagewanted=all

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The worst is when he can't decide which shitty home run call he likes best, so he uses two.

"Mark sends a Tex message! Ho, oh, You're on the Mark, Texeira!"
    "Curtis, you're something sorta Grandish! The Grandy Man can! Ooooooh, the Grandy Man can!"

3. Riptide

His Teixeira calls are hideous, and doesn't he string two or three of them together? "You're on the mark, Teixeira. ... A Tex message from Teixeira ... "

Gack.

Edit: Right there with ya, Pern. :D

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I liked Milo back in the day . . . and Harry makes Milo sound like Scully.

I have no problem with people who are Yankee enthusiasts. But Yankee syncophants who are in love with Sterling's style are moronic. JS/HM is missing a lot of great games. Public eyesight test, PLEASE!

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This. He's harmless.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Great minds 8)

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"Robbie Cano! Doncha Know!"

How the hell does that make any sense?

Not to mention: "It's a Johnny Rocket! Into Damon's Deck!"

Why Johnny Rocket's wasn't a sponsor is beyond me.

And there's some life insurance company, where, every inning, Sterling breaks into "He's safe at second, and to be safe at home, buy Bumfuck Insurance."

8. Riptide

Anyone who does that is way too comfortable at being a shill.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Were he a model of accuracy, he'd be harmless.

Alas . . .

Always like to suggest that people watch a few Yankee games on TV, with the Sterling radio feed as your audio.

You'll be shocked. Three night games should stand as a representative test.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Today I was having the perfect day. Worked out hard this morning, headed to my favorite luncheonette, loaded up my plate at the hot bar, treated myself to a bag of those luscious little coconut chips. Parked my car in a shady spot. With my feet up on the dash, I dug into lunch. One kid at camp, one kid asleep at home with a sitter. Ahhhhh bliss....

Turned on the radio. Maybe catch a little of the Yankee game...

What I heard was the usual audio montage of Sterling Yankee calls to open the broadcast. When it got to Robbie Cano "don'cha know," I felt sick. Like I was going to throw up. As I type this, my stomach is churning just thinking of it. I had to put down the coconut chips, turn off the radio and blast the air.

I am having a very real, adverse, bodily reaction to Sterling calls.

... And I'm someone who actually likes/doesn't mind John Sterling as a human.

WTF.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Actually, I think you might be pregnant.

12. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

There's nothing wrong with Sterling. He can be kind of corny at times but the hatred of him is ridiculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted