1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Sterling's Ichiro home run call

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Aug 1, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://deadspin.com/5930363/ichiro-hit-his-first-home-run-as-a-yankee-and-john-sterlings-call-embarrassed-everyone

As noted on New York Mag's website, you can't really say it's racist. It's just so, so stupid. I know Sterling makes a habit of sounding stupid, but he might have set himself a new low here.

"Ichiro, the Yankees' rising sun, says 'sayonara' in the second deck in right."

Get it? Because he's Japanese?

However, I have no idea WTF rising sun means in that context.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Rising son, he means.
    But Ichiro was a rising star a long time ago.

Still can't believe New Yorkers put up with Sterling's act. Demand someone good!

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

A 38-year-old hitting 60 points below his career average is a "rising son"?

Wow. That call is even dumber than I thought.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

MankyJimy prolly blew a nut when he heard it.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Anyone who insists on scripted home-run calls completely misses the point of live broadcasting, which is all about spontaneous reaction and commentary. Sterling is a buffoon.

Even worse, he's a highly paid buffoon. God must have a sick sense of humor. :p

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hacky, but nothing he should get in trouble for...

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

So this. I can't believe listeners in the NYC market put up with amateur hour crap out of the Yankees' crew. By comparison, the Mets' crew sounds like Masterpiece Theatre.

I've tired to listen on XM a few times, but the Yankees are right there with the Astros and Milo Hamilton on the unlistenable scale.

For that matter, the Red Sox radio crew isn't that much better. With a few exceptions, it seems the baseball radio gets better as you travel west. Most of the Western Division crews in both leagues are decent to great.

Most of the bad crews are in the two Eastern Divisions.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Either that, or Sterling must have some compromising pics of George locked up in his desk drawer.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Milo Hamilton is so much better.

Sterling is the absolute worst. Just the worst.

It really is an embarrassment that he calls the game.

There are plenty of people who will be loyal soldiers/homers, but will at least call the game better.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Dave O'Brien is pretty good, although he'd probably be a better fit on their TV crew.

Sterling never used to be this bad with the scripted calls. I found Sterling/Kay listenable.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That doesn't even make the top 5 stupid Sterling HR calls.

That is worse than "An A Bomb for A-Rod"? How about, "It isssssssss high. It isssssss far. It isssss caught."? Or, "Jorgy juiced one"? (Posada)? Or how about, "The Melk Man delivers." (Melky Cabrera)? Or, "It's a thrilla, from Godzilla" (Hideki Matsui)? Or, "The Giambino" (Jason Giambi)?

You get the idea. I haven't listened to a Yankees game on the radio in ages, but hearing that, even worse than the call was Susan Waldman's shrill voice piping in right afterward.

What a disaster.

12. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

They have to be, by far, the worst radio tandem out there. It makes the YES crew look respectable.

Draft saved Draft deleted