1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Olerud: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's not wrong. A great first baseman doesn't save as many runs over an average first baseman as a great center fielder saves compared to an average center fielder.

2. Dick Whitman

The point was to head off people who would pooh-pooh his Gold Gloves because he played first base.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

absolutely not. the year he hit 380 or 370 he was great. other than that he was good, not top 5 at his position.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So, Pos/James want voters now to multiply the number of walks a player accumlates times .6, add that figure to a player's total hits, divide by number of at-bats and compare that statistic? I'll just look at OBP, thanks.

5. Dick Whitman

That's completely unnecessary.

I thought it was an interesting premise that could provoke some thought. Would you prefer I don't do that anymore? Why does that mean I think I'm smarter than anybody else? That's completely unfair, and I'm frankly a little tired of hearing it. I like to look at old things in new ways. So what.

6. Dick Whitman

The point is that OBP can be misleading because it overvalues walks.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

so then say less valuable. and there definitely are more valuable and less valuable defensive positions.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I don't think he gets in, but his being on the ballot is a nice opportunity to reflect on what a great career he had. A purpose Bret Boone, Jim Deshaies and Lenny Harris don't serve.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yes. He deserves to be in the HoF. He was a generation ahead of his time. Not for his hitting or fielding accomplishments, mind you, but for outstanding achievement in raising awareness for concussion safety and promotion of helmet-wearing.

[​IMG]

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He had another season where he was over .350. I'll give him two great years.

11. Dick Whitman

To me, at its root, this is just a way to challenge us to look at batting average and OBP in conjunction, instead of as two separate benchmarks.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

No matter how much work or skill it takes to be a good defensive first baseman, it's a lot less valuable than being a good defensive SS.

Draft saved Draft deleted