1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John McCain Names 6 GOP Veepstakes Finalists

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Republican presidential candidate John McCain's short list of vice presidential possibilities has been essentially narrowed to six, according to a source familiar with the search.

Factions within the Arizona senator's campaign are pushing for their favored candidate, sources tell Phoenix Business Journal, a Baltimore Business Journal sister publication. The campaign has also been vetting potential running mates and polling voters, especially in battleground states, on their viability.

They include:

Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty;
    Former U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell;
    Former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney;
    Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin;
    U.S. Sen. Joseph Lieberman, I-Conn; and
    Former Pennsylvania governor Tom Ridge.
    Sources familiar with the Republican's VP search process list Pawlenty and Romney as the odds-on favorites but said there was some preference to pick a woman or minority as McCain's running mate. That would mean Powell, Palin, the 44-year-old Alaska governor, or former Hewlett-Packard chief executive Carly Fiorina.

Lieberman, Ridge, Powell and Palin are considered more wild-card picks than Pawlenty and Romney, according to sources familiar with the McCain search.

McCain is close personally to Lieberman, Ridge and Pawlenty. Romney has economic appeal because of his private sector background. Palin is liked by some conservatives. Ridge, the former U.S. Homeland Security Secretary, and Powell have national security experience and could appeal to swing voters. http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/stories/2008/07/21/daily45.html

2. nibs price

nibs price Member

There's no way on earth Powell will take that gig.

3. Deeper_Background

I see some potential there... ;D [​IMG]

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Dear luser:

Post just the names and the link and maybe a brief comment.

Do not under any circumstances post the whole story. If I wanted to read the whole thing, I'll click the link.

5. Deeper_Background

4 paragraphs is easily fair use .

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Essentially!

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It's not a question of fair use. It's a question of TOO DAMN LONG. And based on carriage-return characters, you posted far more than 4 grafs.

And the actual veepstakes thread is here: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/56712/

Try a search function next time.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Finally a worthwhile political thread that gives the news.

9. Deeper_Background

that's an in house gambling thread, nice try douche!

10. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Ha! D_B called you a douche!

11. Deeper_Background

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

So, what happened to Bobby Jindal?
    I thought I saw earlier this week he was meeting w/McCain about the job.
    Powell aside (and that's hard to see happening) I think he'd be the only VP candidate who'd actually move the needle in the election.
    Of course, having Jindal on the ticket sort of undermines McCain's "Obama's too inexperienced" argument, which seems to the only argument McCain's got at the moment.

Draft saved Draft deleted