1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Heidenry and Brett Topel are plagiarists and lawyers suck, too

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lantaur, Jul 21, 2006.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Re: Is this plagiarism? What would you do?

OK, it's been a few months, but we have an update. :)

The publisher (of the offending book) is willing to pull the book from the shelves, and are looking into how to get it off Amazon.com.

The lawyer working for my publisher not sure a public apology or admission will fly. I suggested a letter to the editor or ad in Publisher's Weekly.

He's shooting for asking for half the royalties. It's not that much, but regardless I said that was nice, but money only goes so far, which is why I wanted the public admission (else no one will know about it).

He said he'd try to get one, but didn't sound so sure it would happen. :(

At the very least, I have the vindication that I know I was right and I was plagiarized.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Way to fight the fight, lantaur.

3. Jones

Jones Active Member

I'm dead curious about what book we're talking about here.

4. lantaur

It's likely nothing you've heard of - again, low royalties, a very "specific" book. I certainly don't want to out myself, but you can PM me if you are really, really, really, really, really, really curious (with the promise you'll spread the word of this injustice! ;) :) :)).

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Something to do with astronauts, I hear.

6. lantaur

I have no idea what that means :) but it is a sports book.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

(Jones' new book is on outer space or whatever.)

8. lantaur

Ah, thanks. Is Jones JDV. ;) :) (whatever)

9. msarzo

msarzo Guest

Good for you that you fought the good fight and that something good came of it. Plagiarism is a VERY serious offense. In fact, it's so serious that I consider it a first-strike permanent ban-worthy offense in a message board I run that's related to a RPG.

To anyone who advocates a don't bother approach, don't be intimidated by someone's name. If you're right and you can prove it, go after him (or her!).

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I think we're not as much curious about outing you, Lantaur, as we are in knowing who the clown is that plagiarized you.
    So, can you tell us if it's anyone we would know?

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Congrats on the victory, lantaur, be it moral or financial and preferably both. :)

12. lantaur

Re: Is this plagiarism? What would you do? (UPDATE - VICTORY!, sort of)

OK, so I got a letter from the lawyer of my publisher today. Basically, the publisher of the offending book/authors will stop selling their book, get any remaining copies from vendors as possible and pulp all remaining copies. In addition, they'll pay all royalties thus far and then the lawyer's fee gets taken out and I would get 50% of what is remaining (the publisher gets the other half); and again, this is not a best-seller, so it's not a lot of money.

My quandary - and what I've told them several times - is I want some sort of public admission. Whether it's an ad in Publisher's Weekly, a press release, whatever. I understand that a lawyer and publisher are likely more worried about money, but that goes just so far, you know?

Anyway, if anyone out there is from a national publication, an industry publication or from, oh I don't know, say Missouri, and is interested in this for a story or a brief item (or knows someone that might), I sure would appreciate any attention that can be brought to this matter so it just doesn't die away.

Draft saved Draft deleted