1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Edwards lost the election today on Meet the Press

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

By opposing gay marriage, he's pandering to the senior citizen vote....

I don't like Edwards and wouldn't ever vote for him, but he's actually playing this one smart...

A democrat who opposes gay marriage will play very well down south and Edwards knows he has to do well in the south to have any shot at this thing.

2. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Who gives a fuck? I seriously don't understand why someone's religion is a major issue for voters. It just floors me. You're not running for high priest of America.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How many presidential candidates in either party can?

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Edwards also said he'd raise taxes. Not smart at this early stage.

As I said previously, the wrong Edwards is running for president. The wife is much smarter.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

We have a winner.

Turn off the lights before you leave, boys.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Edwards waffling on the issue of gay marriage because of his faith. Edwards saying he'd definitely raise taxes to help pay for a universal health care plan. I couldn't stand to watch the whole thing. Edwards was just painful to watch and I was considering supporting him. No more after that appearance.

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Then you're insulting every senior citizen with that remark - asi if they're too dumb or in pain because of the need for their prescriptions to see through his remark.

Fact is, he did not take a stand. He went with it citing his connection to the SBC, then he contradicted his own faith by saying it wasn't sinful. Loyalty to the SBC in one statement, contradicting in another. So the truth is, you or I don't know what his stand is on the issue, or what to expect it will be. So if it is a "minor" issue as Zeke points out, then how can you trust him on what he says concerning major issues?

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I didn't say it was a "minor issue".

I said it was a canard.

10. Unfortunately, somebody's going to be president, and that person is going to have to deal with the wreckage of the WPE. "They're all swine" is a nice way to feel smarter than the average bear, but it's a way to put the country on automatic pilot, and I think we've had enough of that, thanks.
    Anyway, as a Catholic, who's watched his co-religionists accept the fact that the human institutional structure of their church can say or do any crazy-ass thing without those things touching our faith, I'm confused. Isn't the SBC view of things based on being saved and a "personal relationship" with your personal Lord and Savior? If that's the case, and in the course of his personal relaitonship with his personal Lord and Savior, Edwards was granted the insight that gay folks are pretty much like the rest of us and should be treated that way at law, why should that conflict in any way with "his faith," which has at its roots a one-on-one relationship with a personal Savior? Now, if Yawn is dishonestly conflating Edwards' "faith" with the hierarchy of his "church," well, we're back in Bernard Law territory again.
    And, anyway, it's a dipshit issue in 2008. The war is going to enable whoever the D candidate is to ignore the Bible-thumping South and still win, and NOBODY loses an election this far out.

P.S. -- The "house purchase" issue was based on a WaPo story so shoddy that the Ombud called out the reporter by name. Do try to keep up.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Are there any weaker stories out there right now than those generated to attack candidates?

Edwards' house purchase; Obama's middle name; Biden's malapropism...

Which editors greenlight this shit?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm with Fenian on this. You can be a baptist and still disagree with your minister or the Southern Baptist Convention over details.

Now if he had denounced Christ or said he likes drinking and dancing that would be it!

Draft saved Draft deleted