1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Edwards hates Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Nov 17, 2006.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

until it's time to get a PS3.

http://www.timesdaily.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061116/APF/611162631

Edwards acknowledges staff asked Wal-Mart for Playstation 3

By MARCUS KABEL
    AP Business Writer

Last Updated:November 16. 2006 10:53PM
    Published: November 16. 2006 10:53PM Print · Email · Discuss

Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards acknowledged Thursday that amid his criticism of Wal-Mart Stores Inc., a volunteer member of his staff asked the world's largest retailer for help obtaining a hot new Sony Playstation 3 for Edwards' family.

Edwards, a potential 2008 presidential candidate, told The Associated Press that the volunteer "feels terrible" about seeking the game unit at Wal-Mart while his boss claims the retailer doesn't treat its employees fairly.

"My wife, Elizabeth, wanted to get a Playstation3 for my young children. She mentioned it in front of one of my staff people. That staff person mentioned it in front of a volunteer who said he would make an effort to get one. He was making an effort to go get one for himself," Edwards said.

"Elizabeth and I knew nothing about this. He feels terrible about this. He made a mistake and he knows he should not have used my name," Edwards said.

Wal-Mart had noted in a news release Thursday that on the same day Edwards was criticizing the company in a conference call with union-backed activists, the volunteer staff member had asked a Raleigh, N.C., electronics department manager to obtain a PS3 for the ex-senator's family.

Earlier Thursday, Edwards had said in a statement e-mailed by spokeswoman Kim Rubey: "We instructed no one to contact Wal-Mart on our behalf."

From Wal-Mart headquarters in Bentonville, Ark., company spokesman David Tovar said the Edwards staff member left a voicemail at the Raleigh store and identified himself as an Edwards staff member.

When the manager returned the call, the staff member again identified himself as working for Edwards, and Wal-Mart said it confirmed it with Edwards' office. The retailer issued a written statement Thursday accusing Edwards of not wanting to wait his turn.

"While the rest of America's working families are waiting patiently in line, Sen. Edwards wants to cut to the front," the Wal-Mart statement said. ;D ;D ;D

This summer, Wal-Mart hired Edelman executive Leslie Dach as its public relations director and put him on the company's executive team. Analysts predicted the retailer would likely become more aggressive toward its critics.

Edwards, the Democrats' vice-presidential candidate in 2004, spoke Wednesday to supporters of union-backed WakeUpWalMart.com on a conference call launching the group's holiday season campaign to pressure Wal-Mart for better labor standards.

In the call, he repeated a story about his son Jack disapproving of a classmate buying sneakers at Wal-Mart.

"If a 6-year-old can figure it out, America can definitely figure this out," Edwards said.

Previously, Edwards has appeared at WakeUpWalMart rallies.

Edwards said the volunteer was "a young kid" unaware of what he called flawed Wal-Mart policies. He called the Wal-Mart statement an effort to divert attention from its own problems.

---

Associated Press Writer Jill Zeman contributed to this report from Little Rock, Ark.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That's some funny shit. I actually believe him, that he didn't have anything to do with. But I am loving how some store manager at a Wal-Mart was sharp enough to forward the voice mail message to corporate HQ, where they must have had a field day writing that press release.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

How could a staff member *not* know Edwards' position on Wal-Mart? Hell, he was speaking against them in a conference call that day! And, as Edwards points out in the story, even a 6 year-old can knows about Wal-Mart. But his staff person doesn't?

Get new volunteers, or concoct a better story.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Or quit hating America.

5. Wal-Mart sucks. Period.
    Edwards is right on the merits of the issues involving the general effect that the ugly-ass box has on the country.
    Luckily, though, there's now a talk-radio talking-point on the other side.
    This isn't half as hilarious as Fredo finally making it to Vietnam, though.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Didn't I hear a clip of him calling Vietnam a success that just took a long time to accomplish? In other words, he's following the same success model in Iraq?

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Wow, this turned into a Bush sucks thread. Never saw that coming.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I happen to agree that Bush does suck at most things. But it's not surprising to see some of the board regulars resort to the equivelent of "But Clinton got a BJ" when responding to something unfavorable to their side of the fence.

9. Not at all, and I congratulate Wal-Mart for its canny political sense in making this a news story. It's a good shot on its merits, and it makes the big ugly troll look like it has a sense of humor besides.
    Just don't think it's the biggest do-as-I-say gotcha of the week, is all.

10. busuncle

busuncle Member

The most astonishing part of this story is that Edwards is proud of his son for mocking a classmate who has to buy shoes at Wal-Mart. Unbelievable.

The Left's real problem with Wal-Mart is one of culture and aesthetics more than anything else. Wal-Mart is tacky, garish and vulgar -- it's a European stereotype of America. Big-box stores like Target pay similar wages (arguably less than Wal-Mart, when adjusted for C.O.L.), have had similar growth (putting poor mom-and-pop stores out of business) and are similarly anti-union, but don't face the same criticisms as Wal-Mart. Why? I'd argue that cultural biases about the people that work and shop at Wal-Mart play a big role.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I don't think little Jack is trying to enlighten his classmates about class and labor issues. I think he's making fun of his classmate for wearing Wal-Mart shoes, like any 6-year-old would. Honestly, who goes around fronting their Winners Choice kicks by choice?

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The Left's real problem with Wal-Mart is that by driving down workers' wages and working conditions it's become one of the leading culprits in the increasing divide between classes in this country.

Draft saved Draft deleted