1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Cazale

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'm watching The Deer Hunter on one of the Encore networks. It's been a while since I've seen it, but everytime I see it, it just makes me sad because it's John Cazale's last film.

I was like 4 when he passed, so obviously I didn't come to appreciate his work until several, several years later. But damn, he was just as strong an actor as Pacino or DeNiro. Not a top-bill star, mind you, but a solid supporting actor.

Also, am I the only one who thinks Steve Buscemi tries to play a poor man's John Cazale in most of his films?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Okay, I'm drawing a blank here. Godfather I and II, Dog Day Afternoon and Deer Hunter. Was he in anything else? If if he wasn't, I agree, it was one hell of a resume.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Was he in The Conversation with Gene Hackman? (Just a guess, I didn't Google).

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

He did "The Conversation". And it wasn't a movie, but he was in Meryl Streep.

5. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

starring or supporting role?

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Definitely starring. A tragic love story.

7. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

He was born to play a looser/weasel, which he did very well.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He was in only five feature films and all five were Oscar nominated for best picture. Damn is that a good legacy.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'm hard pressed to name an actor who was in a stronger string of films.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

If I'm not mistaken, the Deer Hunter producers threatened to replace him when they found out how ill he was. His fiancee, Meryl Streep, said if he goes, she goes, and he thus stayed.

To recap:

Godfather I and II, Dog Day AFternoon, Deer Hunter, was the love of an in-her-absolute-prime Meryl Streep.

Yeah, I'd say he defines quality over quantity.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Tied with Sarah Holcomb?

Say what?

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

He was making a joke, Pube.

Draft saved Draft deleted