1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Boehner will resign from Congress

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Sep 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

From the NYT:

*While some conservatives were celebrating, one prominent Republican was upset at the news.

Senator John McCain of Arizona was taken aback, and he said Mr. Boehner’s resignation had perilous implications for Republican prospects going into next year’s elections.

“It means that’s it in disarray,” Mr. McCain said in a brief interview. “Basically he has been unseated. And that’s not good for the Republican Party.”

His advice? “We’ve got to unite and recognize who the adversary is.”*

And McCain's quote is why this country is so dysfunctional. Instead of working toward shared governance, out system is so adversarial that almost nothing of substance gets done.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm going to guess that no one said anything close to this.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I would go so far as to say the TV wasn't on.

doctorquant and LongTimeListener like this.
  4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

From what I understand from reading these boards, Starman only watches Fox News.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The Republican caucus is about to get much nastier. Just when you thought Washington was as dysfunctional as it could possibly get, this is going to make it much worse.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Starman's fillings pick up audio signals. He changes the channel by cocking his jaw at different angles.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

At least he isn't jawing a cock like Trump used to do!

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

"Orange you going to miss me when I'm gone?"

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Reaction as Marco Rubio announces the news in his remarks to a conservative Christian group:

10. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Thomas Jefferson and John Adams were never concerned about winning. Neither was Lincoln or FDR.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

First, basing so much on Planned Parenthood is as unstatesmanlike and silly as can be imagined. Second, Boehner's last-gasp play of inviting Netanyahu apparently didn't work, even though it should have been the ultimate sop to the far right. Third, how much are moderate Republicans going to take before some go indy or to the Dems?

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm sure some could find a place in the Democratic Party, but most of them would have a hard time raising enough money to stay viable if they ruffle GOP feathers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.