1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Torre's final day(s)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Oct 7, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yab, George (senile or not) still has access to the button.

As spnited said, Torre's done, it's a matter of when, not if.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Torre will go back to broadcasting when he's fired. I can't see him starting up in a new city at 67 years old.

3. casty33

casty33 Active Member

And when it happens, I just hope everybody admits and remembers how Joe Torre (remember the Clueless Joe headlines when he was hired) brought class and personality to a franchise that was dying, not to mention making the playoffs every year and winning four World Series. Knowing Torre and his wife, Allie, I do believe he will retire to Hawaii for awhile, or at least until Fox calls and begs him to take a job as TV analyst.

He told some of us not too long ago that the Yankees managing job would be his last managing job. But when money is involved, you never know.

I'm just thankful I had the opportunity to know the man.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Pirates are dumb enough to spend a ton of money on a manager, then not give him him any talent to work with, but they are far too cheap to come up with that kind of cash. Not that Torre is foolish enough to step into that disaster anyway.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Casty, I respect you but will take issue on this. Not saying Showalter could've finished the job -- in hindsight, he probably couldn't have -- but they were on the doorstep and they had lost to a really good Mariners team in the playoffs. And he had managed them to the best record in the league pre-strike.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

New Yankees manager: Darnell Coles.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

How come whenever you disagree with me, you don't start off by telling me that you respect me?

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Since I don't? :D

Just trying to show respect for my elders, that's all, Rags. [/channeling JDV]

9. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Wicked, you may be right about the team on the field, but I'm also talking about the team in the clubhouse and the manager's office. At least in my experience, you never left the Yankees clubouse without good quotes.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Wicked is right in that the Yankees' turnaround had already begun by the time Joe Torre arrived. The turning point for the Yankees was when Gene Michael ran the club during Steinbrenner's '90-'93 suspension and started rebuilding the club (and its culture) from within. Nothing against Torre, though. He was the right guy at the right time to manage the club to its pinnacle.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Steinbrenner only was suspended for a season, maybe two, IIRC.

12. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Talk about an obscure reference...nicely done~

Draft saved Draft deleted