1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Torre's final day(s)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Oct 7, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

A disaster

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

Joe Torre in KC?

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Joe Torre in retirement in Hawaii

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I would submit that players would run through a wall for Scott Boras.

5. The passion and teaching isn't about running through a wall, it is about holding players accountable for not running hard to first base or teaching a player how to correctly run from first to third on a single to rightfield. Pittsburgh had to fire Jim Tracy for his refusal to bench catcher Ronny Paulino for continually not running out groundouts, dropping balls at the plate, reacting slowly to balls in the dirt on borderline wild pitches.

This is why Joe Girdardi (if he doesn't get the NY job) and Buck Showalter are being discussed by fans and local media.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Some of the players are evidently taking their "why try?" lead from ownership.

Who's to blame, in that case?

The manager, of course . . . in Pittsburgh-speak.

7. No one has to tell me the problem in Pittsburgh is ownership.

I'm just not going to allow Jim Tracy to use that crutch because he was a lame manager. Last season, he defended Jeromy Burnitz not running out a grounder to first. He refused to criticize Paulino.

The one player management and coaches wanted to villify was shortstop Jack Wilson and some of it is warranted but the guy shouldn't be forced to be Cesar Izturis, when that model is terrible itself.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Can you imagine Torre in Kansas City? After 11 years in NYC, his head would explode by how laid-back the midwest is.

9. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Whitlock's probably already working on a draft of his "Royals should fire Torre" column to prove how tough he is.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

There's not enough space on the Interdoohickeys to explain why Joe Girardi is a bad candidate to replace Joe Torre.

Bad person too.

And muahahahahah to the continued shredding of the Derek Jeter Mystique.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Torre did spend a bit of time in Milwaukee and St. Louis (two stints), you know. I think he knows what it's like in the midwest. ;)

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know, how did O'Connor get George on the phone?

Draft saved Draft deleted