1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Thomas says "No" to NFL Commissioner and won't attend draft

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Apr 18, 2007.

1. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

Don't teams usually fly in their first-round pick the day of the draft for a presser? This may not make the beat guys that happy. But that's the only reason to care.

Otherwise, the day should be his.

On a side note, I love watching the first 10-15 picks of the draft, but after that, it gets old fast. I'll take the NBA draft over the NFL draft any day.

2. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

He's a great kid but he isn't doing this to say F--- you to the NFL. He'd just rather fish with his pops than squeeze into a suit and be seen in NY. Attention whore he isn't.

Also, he is taking a decent-sized course load and is close to graduating in four years with a degree in Real Estate and Urban Land Economics.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

And he was with the Wisconsin track team for his first two years, if I remember correctly.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

amraeder, Thomas could have probably made the 08 Olympic team in the shot put if he wanted. King's article was not hyperbole -- this is as close to perfect in a person/athlete as I have seen. The reason I wonder if he is going to be closer to Robert Gallery than Tony Boselli is because this is a guy who doesn't need football. If he trips on the sidewalk tomorrow, blows out his knee and never even signs an NFL contract, I think he still end up a millionaire someday because he is that smart. He can see a life after football, so I wonder if he has that little extra edge that the great ones have.

5. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

He does, w/out question. Tore his ACL in the bowl game of his junior season and came back better as a senior. Rumor has it he was back running the stadium steps about three months after the surgery. Just a freak.

Read the Peter King story about is reaction to giving up a sack in the opener last season. That little visual gives you an idea of his work ethic and the standards to which he holds himself.

And he is a much better athlete than Gallery. Feet of a nimble power forward, body of an NFL tackle and the mind of a QB. Not a bad combination.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Something tells me personnel from 32 different NFL teams are probably thinking the same.

Draft saved Draft deleted