1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Thomas says "No" to NFL Commissioner and won't attend draft

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Apr 18, 2007.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Good for him.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What it says to me is...

1. He cares more about his family than the spotlight...
    2. He's not an attention whore (not that there's anything wrong with going either...)

I like the guy already...

3. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

How many people really sit in front of the TV and watch the NFL draft?

I can't think of many "sporting" events more boring than that.

Good for Joe Thomas.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I love watching the first round of the draft, but I still think Thomas is making the right move...

5. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I'd rather eat a steady diet of 10-penny nails and gravel than sit down and watch the entire draft. Nothing more boring in all of sports than Mel Kiper going on and on and on about this kid's upside, blah, blah, blah. Love the hair, Mel, but the show puts me to sleep.

When I'm working the desk on the Saturday of the draft, I'll pay attention, only out of morbid curiosity and the need to find out how much of a story I'm still waiting upon.

As for the free spirit ditching the draft for his Dad, good for him. I'm the kind of guy who still gets teared up watching the emotional climax of Field of Dreams. Time spent with your Dad is a hell of a lot more important than going to some dog and pony show called the draft. It's not like people aren't going to pick him because he chooses not to be on hand in NYC.

I like this guy already. He's got his priorities in the correct order.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Brilliant take, MW.

Let's see. He's a Badger (where Mrs. Birdscribe went to school) and he's telling the anal-retentive, control freaks at the No Fun League to quaff a frosty mug of STFU to spend quality time with his father.

Love this guy more already.

And Zagoshe, Thomas is going to be in an enviable position: one of earning what is charitably described as "Fuck You" money. He's already exercising the kind of power that provides -- and more power to him for it.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I love that expression "fuck you" rich.

But you are now depressing me by reminding me that a 22 (or 23) year old is about achieve a financial category most of us could only dream of...

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Bret Bielema did a great job at Wisconsin this year. They were a very well coached team with old school unassuming players. No one seemed to display that "look at me" menatality we see so much nowadays. It does not surprise me that Thomas would make this decision.

He will most likely be one of top 3 picks. Love the idea that the NFL will not be able to parade him out.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

TIVO and I scroll to the spots I like. Usually the 1-2 minutes after the pick is made.

And f course, The Jets for the comedy of their fans.

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I went to Wisco, didn't know Thomas well at all, but the few time I interacted with the guy he seemed pretty cool.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

This probably makes me a loser, but every year in college we had a kegger for the NFL Draft (Day 1). Believe it or not, my senior year it actually wasn't a complete sausage fest... Good times...

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The Bassmasters should make him their first pick.

Draft saved Draft deleted