1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Thomas says "No" to NFL Commissioner and won't attend draft

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Apr 18, 2007.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Joe Thomas is expected to be a high -- top five -- pick and was invited to attend the draft -- apparently on more than one occassion by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who even sent him a person invitation via e-mail.

Thomas, however, has declined the invitation because he is going fishing with his dad - something he says is a family tradition -- to go fishing on draft day.

This was actually a very heated topic on a sports talk show today, which is not a surprise.

One side says "Good for him, he's putting family first."

The other side says "Bullshit, he is about to get paid millions by the NFL, it is his duty to help promote the league by showing up. He could fish the next day and he could take his dad with him to New York and still spend quality time."

I tend to think the latter is the correct position -- the NFL draft we all know is a made-for-TV bullshit event but the show does get a boost from the top picks showing up and walking the stage. I think it is his duty.

What is the general consensus on this one?

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Thomas has always been an independent thinker. He'll have plenty of time to spout the company line over the next 10-12 years. At least this way he doesn't have to flip for another suit and some bling bling.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Does it matter?

Put a satellite truck out at the lake. Have him do his interviews from there.

4. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

I have no problem with him spending the day at home with his family.

I certainly do not think it's his "duty" to be in NYC for the draft. He'll have plenty of time to represent and promote the league during his 10-to-15-year career.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Who gives a shit.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I thought it was a silly issue as well, until I listened to a sports talk show and heard about two hours of passionate callers on both side call in and argue vehemently one way or the other.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

All that means is a lot of fucking assholes need to get a life.
    The NFL draft is the most overblown, overhyped "event" in all of sports.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Until he starts cashing checks, he doesn't owe anybody shit.

If the team that drafts him feels his behavior damages his marketability and wants to reduce their contract offer accordingly, they are perfectly free to do so, upon which Thomas is free to hold out until 30 minutes before kickoff of the first game.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'd give up just about anything I have to spend the day fishing with my dad, who died in 1984.

I say, "go fish."

And good for them both.

10. joe

joe Active Member

WWMKD?
    Mel Kiper, that is.

11. No shit. Can't imagine the NFL is paying any of those guys to attend the draft. He can do what he wants til he signs a contract.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

That he is going fishing with his father is a very good thing, but the real issue here is the fucking almighty fucking NFL thinking it can control everybody's lives.

FUCK THE NFL!

Draft saved Draft deleted