1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Schad

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by apseloser, Jun 14, 2010.

1. VJ

VJ Member

I guess that's my point. Let's not turn Chip Brown into some bastion of great journalism here. He's not uncovering news the schools don't want to get out. He's getting out the news the schools WANT released.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. I don't know about Chip Brown, per se.

But slobbering about the breaking stories that -- at best -- come from one anonymous source that is floating something for his/her own purposes is not necessarily great, good or even accurate reporting.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Let's not start drinking haterade. We would all love to be the Texas mouthpiece, because Texas is calling the shots here and that can't be denied.

Chip Brown is in a place that we would all dream to be in.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Whoa there, cowboy.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wouldn't know Chip Brown if he came and left some brown on my living room rug. May be a fine guy, probably is a fine guy. And he's done some good work on this, though as posters have noted it hasn't been perfect and there are other asterisks involved.

He is NOT in a place I dream to be in, trust me on that.

Joe Schad is a friend of mine, so I'm not going to pile on. Yes, he missed here. I'd rip him a new asshole if I'd never missed anything.

The problem everyone is having with expansion reporting is two-fold: There's a lot of horseshit being tossed around, some of it intentional as noted above. And it changes, oh, every 10 minutes or so.

I won't swear our approach is the right one, it might not be because I'm far from perfect. But I'm preaching patience and a little extra research. Breaking stuff is great and we were ahead (as far as I know) on things like the Nebraska deadline and other small stuff. Nothing earth-shattering that's going to get us cheers here.

But (also as far as I know), we haven't been wrong yet, either.

Don't throw shit at a wall and hope something sticks. It usually doesn't and some usually splatters back on you. The smell of shit is hard to remove.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. He's in a good spot. Not exactly Woodstein and Burnwood work, though.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The day I dream of being the (insert name here) mouthpiece because (insert name here) is calling the shots is the day I stop calling myself a sports journalist, recognize that P.R. is my new goal and hope I get P.R. pay and hours.

Jesus.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I won't disagree. But 5-6 schools are basically going to do whatever Texas decides to do. So if you can get someone at the very top of the Texas food chain to tell you what they're thinking constantly, you're doing something right.

If some of it was Texas propaganda, well hell, we get played quite a bit to satisfy agendas. Let's not deny that.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I understand. And being the conduit to the big school is great, but it should be a tool in your arsenal. Not your whole arsenal.

(And I am speaking in general.)

10. or not

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I hope you are speaking general, because we have no idea what's in Chip's arsenel. I'm sure a lot of his stuff is coming from his UT source, but all of it? Do we know?

12. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Schad's a good guy. I can't cast stones because I don't really know the set of circumstances he was dealing with. However, I get the impression that all of ESPN's coverage on this matter consisted solely of phone calls and Web prowling with very little actual research. Heck, their "rumor central" was even posting updates based on anonymous posters on the Northwestern bulletin board. ESPN has consistently been 24 hours behind on the broad strokes of this story and that's something that can happen when you're only working phones.

Draft saved Draft deleted