1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Scarborough: "Daily Show" damaging democracy?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NDub, Sep 12, 2006.

1. NDub

NDub Guest

Anyone watching this garbage right now?

He LED his show tonight with it!

2. NDub

NDub Guest

Joe was mad about Stewart being "rude" and "outwardly aggressive" toward him. HAHA.

He also posed questions (and got agreeing responses from panelists) if Stewart's politician soundbites make them look bad and if he's unfair to guests. They also talked about how the show isn't real journalism or something like that (no shit).

I was working when it was on and only hearing bits and pieces. Just reading Joe's cheesy topic question made me giggle.

Anyone else check this out?

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I don't watch Fox News, MSNBC, CNBC or network news. When I want news I go to CNN and CNN only.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Figures.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Actually, PDB, I honestly can say I've never read a political blog in my life.

6. NDub

NDub Guest

Ok, thanks. I enjoy CNN as well. I usually check out the others to get a kick. It just happened to be on in the newsroom.

Now, back to the post topic....

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I guess this guy, whoever he is, is trying to make the Daily Show to make him feel relevant.

I don't get MSNBC, but I assume it isn't much better than Fox News or CNN. All of these are different forms of infotainment. They're cartoonish parodies of what they portend to be. Irresponsible consumers of news are just as much to blame for the struggles of the fourth estate as anything else. You eat McDonald's; you get fat. You watch infotainment 24 hour news channels, you get dumb.

There is a real debate in this country and around the world where more than a two-demensional left-right shouting match can be had, but that debate isn't to be found on the 24 hour a day networks, with few exceptions.

If consumers of news cared about educating themselves there are options. C-SPAN, Meet the Press, This Week, Face the Nation, Fox News Sunday, Newshour, network nightly news, 60 Minutes... but you don't see ratings shooting through the roof for this type of programming (although more people are watching these and programs like them than I first suspected.)

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

This has been a pretty common theme here lately, saw an op/ed that said the same thing.
    Must be on the RNC talking points memo.
    And did Scarbrough single out Colbert as well? Did Jo-Jo damage democracy when he made an appearance on that show?
    But now I'll be forced to set the Tivo to catch the repeat.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Corrected. ;)

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Good call, Oz. Don't forget Bill Maher. :D

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Good call there. I completely forgot about him, probably because I don't have HBO anymore. Just for that, Sopranos and Deadwood, yeah, I miss it.

12. Stupid

Stupid Member

I doubt Scarborough wants to be put on notice.

Draft saved Draft deleted