1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Posnanski gets his own "longform" website

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 15, 2014.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but my feeling has always been that journalists love longform. Readers are more meh. Take it or leave it (or at least take it just once in a while, but not being clubbed over the head with it).

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Agree that it'll probably last two years, like most sportswriting start-ups. But it's nice to see a sportswriting longform site run by someone who doesn't actively loathe sportswriters.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

You mean as opposed to Gannett? :D

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

As opposed to Grantland.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Readers like interesting stories. I'm not sure they distinguish it the way we do. "Longform" works best, as far as keeping a reader reading, when it's written as a narrative, not when it's a writer bloviating. Action. Cliffhangers. If it's written like a short story, they'll keep going.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

As much SB Nation as Grantland.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

How so SB Nation?

8. Featuring Ned Yost as the first article is a sure-fire way for Posnanski to cement his reputation as the greatest milquetoast sports writer in history.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If it's written like most short stories, Dick, it'll probably stink. Short fiction is the domain of writerly genuflecting. It's kind of a requirement to get into many lit journals, insomuch that they still function and exist.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Disagree, and disagree 1,000 percent. Not good ones. And they are better now, and more urgent and less writerley, than they used to be.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Didn't get the move from SI, and it seems like the Paterno book sapped his mojo. Or maybe, karma.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Better than they were when? In the late 90s and early 2000s? Sure. I'll agree with that.

Draft saved Draft deleted