1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Posnanski edges TJ Simers to win SJ.com's favorite sports columnist...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The votes are in...

First place - Joe Posnanski, KC Star
    Second place - TJ Simers, LA Times
    Third place (tie) - Mark Whicker, OCR; Bill Plaschke, LA Times; Norman Chad, syndicated
    Fourth place - Rick Reilly, Sports Illustrated

2. Technically, that makes Rick Rielly 6th place since 3rd was a 3-way tie.

3. I don't know if you have the brain power to comprehend, but 4th place is the 4th best, and there are 3 people better, but there were 5 people ahead of Rielly.

4. WTF

you screw up like that and rip the guy who points it out? weak

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Ah, shaddap. It was a throwaway line.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'm just glad I'm finally on the popular side of some debate around here.

7. Jones

Jones Active Member

Mizzou's just pissed that he's been denied yet another opportunity to slurp Whitlock.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

But he's just as happy slurping Simers.

9. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Anytime you go up against Mizzougrad, you're on the popular (and usually correct) side of the debate.

10. JME

JME Member

Some serious haters around here. Mizzou has been accurate far more often than not.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Just a few points.
    1. At least it was "favorite" columnist, which gets to heart of the matter-personal taste. Try working at a job where there's absolutely no accepted standard of performance. That class, is why us columnists (or former columnists) have outsized egos. You can't do the job without it.
    2. Generation gap. Joe's a wonderful writer. TJ is too. But I'm willing to bet that the posters who voted for them were almost all 40 or under. I know the Whicker demo was just us old farts.
    3. Columnizing is about a voice. My voice was way outside what the Herald wanted, and I'm grateful the paper treated me as well as it did as long as it did.
    But it's a gig with no right answers. Case in point. I am not a particular admirer of Dan Shaughnessy's work except on its obvious technical merit. Yet both my wife and daughter love what he does. Their ears hear Danny, whille mine get a muted faraway noise. RANKING that intimate a relationship is stupid.

12. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

I liked the little contest ... as a writer, when you don't see your name on the list, it makes all that more determined ...

I'm sure Joe Posanaski is brilliant, I just havne't read anything from his that blew me away. then again, don't read him much at all. Simers and Chad do it for me cause i like to laugh; Selena Roberts did it for me because i felt i learned a new word or two each time i read her.

Draft saved Draft deleted