1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Klein of Time mag on the MEts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gingerbread, Oct 5, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

It will be a big topic next year at this time as the Mets are marching to the World Series and the Cubbies are hitting the century mark in futility!

2. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Joe Klein showed up at a Mets spring training camp sometime in the '80s. He seemed like a decent enough person, but I must tell you he quickly earned the nickname "lurker." He was everywhere, listening in on interviews the regular beat guys were trying to conduct. He was only there a couple of days and we weren't upset to see him go.

Maybe now some of you can tell why.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Keep telling yourself that, old man. I guess someone your age needs to keep finding new ways to get through the day.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Nah, doc. I get through these days real easily... having fun with cubbiesfanboylooosers and philsphanboyloosers.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hey gramps look at the bright side, Not having to watch the Metamucils will give you more time to cruise the reststops of the TPK.

6. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I've given some thought to this, sp.

The reason you're over it (a collective you) is because next year, you know the Mets are going to a force. They're going to be favorites in the division (or at the very least co-favorites), you know the front office is going to spend to improve the team. Minaya may strike out from time to time, but he's just as likely to pick up someone the Mets need.

I don't want to speak for Cubs fans. But me - and I'm fairly certain I'm not alone - have no such faith in the Phillies. They'll do nothing or throw a lot of bad money at some dubious free agent.

It's easier to forget the cloudy days when you know sunnier ones lay ahead. But when years of trusting the weatherman has backfired, you know to expect clouds no matter what they tell you.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

That's kind of true hustle although I expected a lot more from that team this year and Omar did not make the necessary off-season or deadline moves to fix the pen.
    I know they are going to make a run at Santana. If they get the Twins to agree to a deal and Johan will take a 4-5 year extension, I won't care what else they do this winter.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Never will happen. Only time Santana will pitch in Flushing is when he goes there wearing the the real interlocking NY.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yeah, yeah . . . but would the Yanks give up Hughes for him?

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You ever been out on a date with a smoking hot chick and can't get over the fact that every other guy in the bar wants to bang the shit out of your date? You've been dating her for a while -- you want to marry her, in fact -- but she's really put herself together lately, and she's just the best thing going right now?

To the point where they're walking up and hitting on her right in front of you? Making direct proposals and such?

That's what it's like to be a Twins fan these days.

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Don't look now Zeke, but Omar Minaya just walked up to Santana in a bar and said, "You're with me, Leather."

12. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Same goes for me. I stopped reading George Will a long time ago, and I stopped reading his baseball stuff 20 seconds after I started. Boring, boring, boring.

Mike Royko, however...........He could write about the Cubs or the White Sox or the fans on the street, and it was his usual killer stuff.

I wish Royko coulda lived forever. Or at least a day past me.

Draft saved Draft deleted