1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Kapp, 73 years old, punches out former CFL rival

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 27, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I know this is on the CFL thread, but it might get lost there, and this is too good. Joe Kapp had a big rivalry going with Angelo Mosca way back when. Over the weekend the CFL brought them back together, and when Mosca got on stage Kapp tried to give him a flower. Mosca -- also a former professional wrestler -- told Kapp to "shove it up your ass." Cane-smacking and fist-throwing ensued.

Yowza.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Pretty nimble by Kapp to dodge a swinging cane and then deliver the knockout. He could pass for mid-50s instead of 73.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

That cane came within about an inch of landing. Christ, Kapp shoulda' stomped him after he landed the punch.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

While not a hard whack, it looks like the cane knocked off Kapp's glasses and then he connected with the right.

"Sportsmanship!"

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Love the "I'm tryin' to let it go," said in, of course, a thick Canadian accent.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Awesome. That's been all over the news up here since Friday, and it was going to pretty much overshadow the Grey Cup game itself regardless of the outcome. :)

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You know, the guy who said that, Kapp, is an American who's been living in California pretty much non-stop ever since his CFL playing career ended more than 40 years ago, so I'm not entirely sure what would account for that "thick Canadian accent" you heard.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm also curious as to what a "thick Canadian accent" even is.

Some people from Nova Scotia might say "aboot," but I'm betting nobody from, say, Alberta talks like that.

We do pretty much all say "eh," though. That's universal up here. ;D

9. Is this the same Joe Kapp who played in the NFL?

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes, also was the coach at Cal when "The Play" happened against Stanford in 1982.

Mosca should have hired one of the old Raiders — maybe Jack Tatum, John Matuszak, Skip Thomas or George Atkinson — to come out of nowhere and knock Kapp on his ass.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

About five minutes after the scuffle, Mosca says on the microphone to Kapp "this country treated me a lot better than you treated it." Ouch.

Then Kapp takes the mike and at the end tells how he has a dog named Angelo and kicks the sh*t out of it every day. He then walks off-stage to offer a hand to Mosca, who doesn't budge.

I don't know a lick about either one, but I like Mosca a lot more.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

We can only hope the Stanford band will reenact it one day.

Draft saved Draft deleted