1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Barry Carroll, meet Rosa Parks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 7, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's not like JBC needs the money from a lawsuit, and I'm sure the restaurant isn't doing that well that it can afford this kind of publicity. If I'm the restaurant owner I go to the videotape to prove your case. And if you don't, you're kind of screwed.
    I imagine it won't be so hard to find a seat there in the future.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't think she'd want to be there in the middle of hobo stench.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

It's not just Joe Barry's word against the owner's:

Carroll and Shaw soon filed a complaint before the city of Atlanta's Human Relations Commission.

After a hearing, the panel found the Tavern discriminated against the men on the basis of their gender "and, arguably, their race."

"In light of the long racial history between black and white, the commission can't help but to wince at the notion of expressly sanctioning a practice that would have the effect of requiring an African-American to relinquish his or her seat to a Caucasian patron," its Oct. 10, 2007, ruling said. It added that "race was a factor in the escalation of the situation."

Sounds like JBC has a hell of a case.

4. forever_town

I think we established that JBC "has a hell of a case."

Whether he wins or not is still another matter left to be answered in court.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I guess white people don't have a monopoly on big NBA stiffs, after all.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

As an aside, I am seriously annoyed at the constant use of the term 'Up Scale'. Can't journalists at least be honest and objective and call it what it is, 'over priced' as it refers to places of commerce and 'materialistic' as it applies to people.

example: Red Lobster is an 'up scale' Arthur Treachers. Abercrombie and Fitch is an 'up scale' Old Navy.

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

No, what we established was that JBC said one thing and the owner said different. My point was that an impartial body has already supported JBC, which I would think greatly improves his chances in court.

8. SigR

SigR Member

Disclaimer: I understand what I'm about to say is going to infuriate a few people. I'm not saying it to cause an uproar, only because I think too many of us never even consider what I'm going to say. This doesn't make me a troll--I'm just participating with my opinion.

A business owner should have the right to discriminate however he sees fit. It is his property, his livlihood. If it was not for that business owner, that business would not exist. Nobody has a right (except one mistakenly given them through laws) to tell that business owner how to run his business. If he doesn't want black people in his bar, he should have the right to hang the sign on the door. If he wants ladies to have the seats at the bar instead of guys, he should have that right without question.

It's up to the individuals in society to boycott his establishment if we don't agree with his policies and to force him out of business because his business is not one that we value. In my mind, saying that he can't invite who he wants into his business is denying him one of the rights protected in the 1st Amendment: the freedom of assembly. How would you feel if you were told by government that you couldn't invite who you wanted to your backyard barbeque this saturday afternoon? That you didn't have the right to choose who entered your private property. Using the crooked hand of government to deny your neighbor their rights, no matter how repugnant that neighbor's thoughts and actions may be, is a recipe for disaster and a precedent for others to use government to usurp rights of their neighbors.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You're a moron.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

Just curious: If they gave up their seats were they still expected to pay for their meal?

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Hypothetical:
    You and your very pregnant wife are required to return the city of your birth to participate in a census and pay taxes. You arrive at Caeser's Palace and are told that they have no room at the Inn for Jews. There are no other accomdations in town due to a convention of Crusifix makers. What do you do? Have the Baby in a stable?

12. forever_town

There's a BIG difference between inviting whom you want for a backyard barbecue and serving people at a restaurant. If you can't see that, I can't help you.

Draft saved Draft deleted