1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joe Barry Carroll, meet Rosa Parks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 7, 2008.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Words fail me. What the holy hell were these putzes at the restaurant thinking?

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/08/06/phipps_tavern_lawsuit.html

2. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

You gotta hand it to these guys ... they're brave bigots. I mean, JBC is 7-foot and I am betting even at 50 that he isn't anybody's bitch.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

This restaurant owner should not have been this dumb, given the upscale African-American clientele in the Buckhead area. Why doesn't he simply cut his own throat with a dull knife?

And if I'm sitting at the bar eating, I'm not moving until I'm done. Sounds like, if the story is true, Joe Barry has a helluva case.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Wow. And I guess he's moved beyond one of the all-time great nicknames, given by Peter Vecsey, I believe: Joe Barely Cares.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Joe Barely Cares /petervecsey

Edit: Dammit!

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't care what kind of tradition your establishment has. If there's no sign saying you have the right to eject people for staying longer than a specific amount of time and/or I haven't exceeded that, you have no fucking right to ask me to leave my seat unless I've done something wrong.

Joe has quite the case. That bar owner fucked up big time.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Sounds like Joe's going to own a bar.

If I'm ever in the area, I'll have a drink there.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Be prepared to stand. My wife wants to sit down.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Usually, your wife sits on my lap.

But I might be willing to make an exception.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think Joe would have a great case even if it wasn't about black vs. white. I think he would have a case because (other than politeness, or somebody having physical problems), why should he have to give up his seat to someone else just because that other person is a woman?

11. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

OK ... maybe I'm the only one who finds this funny, or who is getting this, but the ad on the page for this is "Interracial Dating Central."

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Possible this is BS? I'm hoping that you wouldn't be THAT overtly racist in this day and age, but you can't go broke underestimating people, I'm afraid.

Draft saved Draft deleted