1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jock-less Family

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HeinekenMan, Sep 11, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Just curious here as to whether there are others who work in the industry but have families that don't care a lick for sports.

My father-in-laws, both of them, have no interest in sports. One claims to be a Gators fan and a Tampa Bay fan, but he couldn't name a single player on either team. I have an uncle who is clueless when it comes to sports. One of my brothers-in-law mysteriously began to follow sports about the time I married his sister 10 years ago. But he's strictly a football guy, and strictly NFL. My other brothers-in-law prefer skating, and they're good at it. One was a pro skater for a short time before suffering an injury and an alcohol/drug problem.

My wife's grandfather used to watch NFL games when I visited his house, but he passed away in January. My wife's uncle is moderately interested in football, but he also couldn't name a single player outside of a Dolphin or two.

Do you think this is atypical at all? It seems rare. Given my profession, though, I tend to be surrounded by sports nuts.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You have two father-in-laws?
    My ex-father-in-law was one of those guys that said he liked sports, but would then say extremely inane things. I could never decide if I should point out he is an idiot or just smile and nod my head. I generally smiled and nodded my head.
    My entire family are really into sports, which is nice because then they are all interested in my job.
    As far as your question, I don't think it is totally abnormal to have a jock-less family. In fact I find it interesting your wife was interested in you despite how much you probably love sports. Is she into sports?

3. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I have half my family that are into sports and the other half, not at all. I will never forget something my brother told me a while back. My mother who knew nothing about sports at all was asked by my brother to place a bet on a playoff hockey game that Minnesota North Stars were in. Mom, knowing nothing picks the Stars, and guess what, my brother had to pay her 100 bucks, cash.

Anyway, it makes it tough to talk about things with people if they don't like or follow sports. Same with ex boyfriends. The relationships did not last long with some of them because they weren't interested in sports, and they need to be at some level.

4. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

The wife was somewhat unaware of my fanatical interest in sports when we married. I never pushed to watch much sports other than NFL games. We had an agreement, which was that she wouldn't drag me into her D&D stuff and I wouldn't drag her into sports.

Somehow, though, we found common interests that sort of took over. I watched about one entire NFL game in 2005 and 2006. In the past few months, though, I've ramped up to full-blown sports nut. And my son is apparently coming along for the ride. He's 4, and he has great hands. My 2-year-old daughter, though, has the better arm.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Most of my family is into sports. I've never dated a girl who was really even remotely interested in them. Might explain why I'm still single.

My dad was always really into sports, which I suppose is why I am, but there are a few on his side of the family that aren't into them. I remember one year wanted to watch three big college football games all day at a family function. I think I was in the sixth or seventh grade. One of my uncles said to me, "Why don't you go outside and play or watch something else?" I couldn't fathom why no one would want to watch these particular games (don't remember what all of them were, but one was the Notre Dame-FSU game back in 1993.

But for the most part, I'm generally surrounded by people who are at least somewhat into sports.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

My brother likes some, my dad likes NASCAR (but he doesn't watch it) and that's about it. Oh, and he likes Kentucky basketball. My mom couldn't care less, and hasn't read a sports story since Chuck Culpepper left Lexington.

One aunt likes Kentucky basketball, another aunt's husband used to play in the NFL...but really, no one's a sports fanatic.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

My parents and sister hate sports. My dad likes open-wheel racing, but that's it. Oh well.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My immediate family doesn't care much for sports. My dad has a casual interest in baseball, though he doesn't care much for anything post-Ripken, it seems. He only talks Bonds, Rose and the players of his day, only to create conversations with me.

My mom, sisters and brother couldn't care less for anything athletic.

My brother-in-law is a huge football fan, who is taking an interest in the Red Sox, and my grandma and grandpa (different sides) are very, very big baseball fans. So when I need to talk sports, I look outside my (old) house.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

My parents have never really had an interest in sports other than seeing their grandsons who play football, golf, soccer and run track.

My brother and I both didn't play sports in high school or college. We played plenty of pick-up hockey, football, basketball and baseball growing up. He and I are both avid golfers, but that's about it.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I have no one in my family into sports.

One uncle, my marriage, is a War Eagle fan and will watch the Braves when they're on TBS, though he's converting over to Sox fandom, mostly due to convenience. Another uncle, also by marriage, is a decent hockey fan.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Your marriage? :D

Is there something you need to share with the board, wicked??

12. Your Dad and I have precisely the same attitude toward NASCAR.
    Love the existence of the phenomenon.
    The actual races? Eh.

Draft saved Draft deleted