1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joba Chamberlin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, Aug 23, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Playoffs, Rivera.

Season, Santana.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Let's see how Chamberlain reacts the first time he's shelled. Then figure out where his slot is. But given the AL emphasis on power lineups, I'd sooner see him as a closer.

3. In Exile

In Exile Member

When the Yankees play it smart and build the farm system and then supplement with free agents, with their financial resources, success is almost guaranteed. Once that assembley line starts to produce, it will be very difficult for any other team, even the Red Sox, to keep up.

Although people are talking about their pitchers now, their position players are starting to make noise in A-ball. In another year or two they will probably have the deepest farm system in the game.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think with the Yankees' bats, I'd go with Santana, even in the playoffs. With him there, I'd be counting on two wins. With the offensive support, I don't think I'd worry about a lock-down closer quite as much. But there is definitely a comfort feeling when a cat like Mariano enters the game -- at least there was.

5. goalmouth

You are ridiculous. First, O'Neill and Lyle were obtained in trades. Second, don't you think Yankee expectations were for surpassing performances when they signed the rest?

6. In Exile

In Exile Member

Rivera didn't have enough pitches to succeed as a starter - Joba does, and that's the difference between the two. I rather have a quaility pitcher on the mound for 200 innings each year rather than 50 or 60.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Let's also give Chamberlain more than 8 innings before we start casting the bust for Cooperstown.
    The kid has great ability but can we see him handle just the tiniest bit of adversity first. He has been nursed along in the past two weeks, being used mostly in totally non-pressure situations.
    That's the perfect way to break him in but it does not make him great.

8. 93Devil

It is a great question.

I just think knowing that you have nine innings to score more runs, but the other team has only seven or eight chances to outscore you is devistating in a seven-game set.

To have a starter that you know will go deep into the game every five days and rest your bullpen is priceless during the regular season.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I wonder who will be in the hunt for Santana when he becomes available. I doubt he'll stay in Minnesota, especially after voicing his opinion after the Castillo deal.

10. 93Devil

The point I am trying to make is often when you take on a Rhoden, Whitson, Pavano, Wright, Knobloch, Sax, Phelps and all the other players they have brought in that cost them good prospects or large chunks of the payroll that when they do not pan out, it can cripple a team. Even a team as deep and wealthy as the Yankees.

11. goalmouth

Mike "Pinstripes" Kay last night insisted that Joba has "taken the baseball world by storm."

Can't he please shut the hell up? I'd rather hear Girardi say "the Yanks are in business" over and over than hear Kay savor the sound of his own voice.

12. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I guess this post is better suited for a greatness debate. But that wasn't mentioned here.

I just like the feeling he provides for the Yanks when jogging from the pen onto the mound. That matchup against Vlad displayed alot of intestinal fortitude from Chamberlain. He carried himself like a pitcher who should come out of the pen, full of nastiness.

Draft saved Draft deleted