1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joba Chamberlin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

This kid has the goods.

I can't believe he tested Vlad last night. He hit 100 mph on the radar gun. Even the YES networks conservative gun clocked him at 100.

But good god, is that slider of his the nastiest pitch I've seen in years. He throws it harder than most pitchers do their fastballs. It frisbees away from righties and dives into lefties.

Do any of you believe he should remain in the pen rather than a projected starter in the future? Mariano is starting to show his age and he even came up as a starter before heading into the pen.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

He will be and should be a starter. Mussina is rubbish. Clemens won't, hopefully, be around next season. The team needs a new starting pitcher that won't cost them Gil Meche money.

Releivers don't need a wide assortment of pitches. They need two or three good ones to get through an inning or two. The Yankees can obtain that from other less reliable starters.

3. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Mussina has tranformed into Tom "nibble" Glavine. He's done.

You're right about the future of the starting pitching staff, but the luxury that is Mariano may not be found with an assortment of relievers signed from the open market. I like the idea of Chamberlain doing his Teddy Pendagrass "Close the Door" routine for a couple of years.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Who are the free agent starting pitchers?
    Who are the pitching options from the farm system?

Joba is the answer for starter. You can create a poor man's Rivera from someone that doesn't have the stuff to start. You don't need to take a potential number 1 or 2 starter and create Rivera.

Relievers are important, but they aren't near as important as a starter.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Part of the reason for the Joba rules is the Yankees are treating this like a temporary move and want to get him back to being a starting pitcher next season. It seems more rare these days, but there are managers and organizations that like to allow stud pitching prospects to get their first taste of the majors as relievers.

The Twins did that with Johan Santana and Francisco Liriano. The Tigers did it with Joel Zumaya, though it looks like they are keeping him in the pen now. Jim Leyland has a history of it back to his days with the Pirates. He used John Smiley, who later became a 20-game winner, out of the bullpen for a season.

In Chamberlin's case, I think it is more a matter of needing him to help the current team. He's already too good not to be in the majors, but they are going to be careful with him. The thing people who question the Joba rules tend to forget is that the guy only worked as a reliever for a couple of weeks before being called up and the transition can cause arm problems if not handled properly (see Brett Myers with the Phillies).

The one concern I've heard about Chamberlin is keeping his weight under control. He apparently had some issues with this in the minors. I'm not sure how much truth there is to that. And for every Bobby Jenks, a minor-league starter who converted to the bullpen as he battled his weight, there is a guy like C.C. Sabathia who remained a starter despite a fluctuating wasteline.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He's more valuable as a starter. And Pastor is right. When the Yankees were winning, it was all built on pitching. Their future if it is going to be good, will depend on the Phillip Hughes and Job Chamberlains, not on the free agent bats.

Mariano Rivera has been an incredible luxury, but he is actually perfectly suited to closing. For most of his career he threw one pitch. An unhittable pitch, but it's not a formula that probably would have worked nearly as well as a starter having to go through the same lineup several times.

Chamberlain already has three pretty unhittable pitches that complement each other perfectly--it's freaky for someone that young. 100 mph is 100 mph. That slider is as ridiculous as you said. And he already has great command of a slow, nasty curve that he hasn't shown since being called up--because there is no need for it when you are not going through the lineup several times. On top of it, he has a change-up that he doesn't master as well yet, but which could be ridiculous icing on the cake. I wouldn't waste that kind of arm, with great control of so many pitches in one inning spots. An ace starter is more valuable to me than an ace closer, because a mediocre closer can get his job done better than the mediocre starter who would be in the rotation instead of Chamberlain.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Trenton's Alan Horne could be an option as a starter.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Next year:

1- Pettite
    2- Wang
    3- Hughes
    4- Chamberlain
    5- Mussina
    6- Kennedy
    7- Rasner
    8- Ohlendorf
    9- Horne
    10- Karstens
    11- Igawa

I don't think that they will sign a FA SP this off-season.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It's Chamberlain. C-H-A-M-B-E-R-L-A-I-N. Could you at least spell his fucking name right in the thread title?

10. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

How is Ian Kennedy looking?

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Never seen him pitch, but apparently he's doing great since moving up to Scranton in 5 inning spurts - strict pitch count.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Pettitte has the option, I believe, so he isn't a guarantee. And Mussina is done. It's painful to watch. Wang is the only proven commodity on that list and Hughes and Chamberlain are way more exciting than the other unproven commodities. I'd go in feeling good about Wang, Hughes, Chamberlain and Pettitte, if you get him to come back. But the Yankees like to go 6 or 7 deep with starting pitchers and usually end up needing even more than that. Would you feel really confident with the rest of the list being Rasner, Igawa, Karstens? It's OK (actually Igawa isn't really OK), but it is more of a crapshoot than a proven formula. Even Hughes and Chamberlain at this point still have to prove they can do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted