1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job seeking and your health

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Let's say, hypothetically, you are out of work and also undergoing cancer treatments. Now let's say a job opportunity arises. Should you tell the potential employer what is going on with your treatment?

What if an interview or potential start date conflict with the cancer treatment?

Let's say it's a very treatable form of cancer so you don't anticipate any issues once past the treatment.

If you were hiring someone, would that make you not want to hire him? Would you be pissed if you did hire him and then found out he didn't disclose it during the interview process?

2. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Hmm. I've seen something like this before.

If you are a good person and want to respect your decisions, I'd say you tell the employer the basics about the situation and see what happens.

If you are a weasel not entirely honest, then you would keep the whole thing a secret, get hired, and then disclose it. Not sure how the company would react, but I doubt it would be good.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's hella personal and I wouldn't fault anyone for any answer. I guess I'd probably let them know that I have a personal health issue that might cause me to miss the occasional day, but not disclose what it was.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You do not need to disclose a health issue. Your health is your damn business.

If you tell them you need to change an interview or a start date because of a cancer treatment they will not hire you.

Just say you have a conflict.

Don't be stupid. Hypothetically.

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Hmm, so I've got "stupid" for telling and "weasel" for not telling.

Keep 'em coming.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I side with this side of the argument.

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I'd say there's never anything wrong with staying mum about a health issue. It's enough of a problem on its own; why let it affect this, too?

Oh, and I wish a speedy recovery to whomever this thread references.

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Editor: we'd like to bring you in for an interview next week.
    Prospect: thanks, but I can't make it. How about in three weeks?

That isn't a huge negative red flag for an employer?

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

"Yes" to both questions, speaking frankly.

10. beanpole

beanpole Member

Maybe, but you're under no obligation to disclose it. As log as you are able to work the days needed and perform the duties of the job, the company can't say anything. Just find out their sick leave policy.

I'm a hiring manager and I've worked for places that wouldn't touch a candidate with a preexisting condition, particularly if there is a comparable candidate as a fallback.

Don't say anything, my friend.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So you just called someone with cancer a weasel?

You are not allowed to ask about health, marriage, politics, gay or straight, pregnant or wanting to have more kids, race, religion and a handful of other things when conducting a proper interview.

If you ask for another interview date, that is a different matter, and it probably would disqualify you from an interview.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And what would happen if the candidate knew they were disqualified for health reasons?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.