1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job search communication

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by busch, Jun 29, 2015.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

My experience is the opposite: In those instances when I've been flown in, put up in a hotel and had a car rental, I've always been offered the job. The last time this happened (at three places within a month), I had three offers at one time. I knocked one out of the running because I didn't like the town's vibe, then it came down to money, and I took the one that offered significantly more than the other.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'd like to have your luck, Swingline. I got flown in, put up in a hotel and had a car rental... and then found out via APSE that someone else got offered the job. lol

In all honesty, though, I can't complain. In this day and age it's good for a shop to bring someone in... and I essentially got a free vacation out of it. :)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  3. Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson New Member

Where did I imply that it is exclusive to this field? I referenced "this field" because we're talking about journalism, but I very clearly said "the business world".

Morals are arbitrary, I guess, but I think we can all agree that common courtesy is one of them. I was simply discerning a moral obligation from a legal obligation.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  4. Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson New Member

"Is this the kind of indecision we can expect on the job?"

lol, what an irrelevant cop-out. Taking seven weeks to make an offer for a position isn't indecision though, huh?

Tweener likes this.
  5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I drove in, had the interview, came back the next day for the wrap-up, and the position had been frozen overnight.

The SE bolted two weeks later.

6. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

That logic was lost on them, evidently.

7. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

What an awful response. What does asking for more than 24 hours to make a life-altering decision have to do with how you will react on the job? Certainly there are situations at work that require snap decisions, but if I were hiring I'd look favorably upon a candidate who thinks things through.

It's like when I talked to Gannett about a position at one of the editing centers a few years ago. I'd known the guy doing the hiring for many years and an offer was almost a sure thing, but he wanted me to drop everything I was doing and fly in the day after he contacted me, which would've required a novel excuse for skipping work. And then he said, "We want to be sure you'll take the job before we fly you in." Told him I couldn't make a decision like that without a bit more time to think it over, and that was the end of it (and my wife, who didn't want to move, would have nixed it anyway). At least I saved Gannett the cost of a plane ticket.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I don't think there is any agreement on what is considered common courtesy.
    Interview communication? Cell phones in the gym? Thank you notes for birthdays? Opening doors for people?

That's a whole 'nother thread, but in general, I so think people agree that common courtesy should be followed, but the definition of common courtesy has changed through the years.

9. Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson New Member

You're making this way more complicated than it needs to be.

Is radio silence common courtesy? Is leaving recruits out to dry after insisting you'll get back to them common courtesy? This isn't exactly brain surgery.

10. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

The easiest way to cope is remember you don't have the job until you have the job. Continue to look for a job until you accept a job. Why stress about what you can't control?

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to me with a Gannett center, maybe even in the same week. Guy wanted to hire me over the phone, 1,200 miles away, without a visit and a chance to look each other over and all that. Then he called back 30 minutes later and said the job was mine if I could move there and start the following Monday, which was four days away.

I have to think he waited too long to fill out his team, and then someone higher up said he had to have everyone up and running by the next week. I didn't want to work for Gannett anyway, and that pretty much sealed it forever.

The guy got laid off a few months later.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He sounds like a real go-getter. I don't understand.

Draft saved Draft deleted