1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job questions - How much follow-up is too much?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by IllMil, Jun 11, 2011.

1. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I've been trying to get an entrance with a sports team for years, sending out resumes and making calls and sending emails, etc. Last week an NFL team actually responded and asked for a resume. The guy thanked me and said he'd get back to me soon. This was a couple of days ago. He's the first actual person that said something back in those two years, so naturally it made me pretty excited. I realize it could be nothing but I want to make sure I do everything I can. I thought about waiting a few days and then sending an email to reiterate how badly I want to do this, but thought I'd ask around first. They specifically said no phone calls, so I'm going to respect that.

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I like the email idea. Good luck, hope you get a gig.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Understand he almost certainly can't make hires with the lockout on.

4. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Right, but it was a job ad I responded to, it wasn't like I just sent him something out of the blue. I did the online application and then did some grunt work to find the actual contact, which wasn't listed, and personally sent a note.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I get that and it's cool. Just don't get spooked if you get radio silence for a while.

6. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Yeah, that's on my mind. Hoping it gets cleared up in the next month or so.d

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

1. Very short hand written thank you note thanking him for taking the time to review your resume.

2. Follow-up e-mail between 10-14 days after you mail the note.

8. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Thank you. But I guess what I should have asked, and what I really meant was, what kind of tone do you take with the follow-up email? All business or do you put some emotion into it?

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Are you trying to get a job or a date?

10. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Dates are a hell of a lot easier to get

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Considering that they probably got a deluge of response from the ad I think you could probably balance the emotion and business.

Change the emotion to passion but balanced with the fact that you are a pro who can get things done.

12. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Passion, that's a better way to put it. Thanks for the feedback.

Draft saved Draft deleted