1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by earlyentry, Sep 13, 2007.

1. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

OK, so I recently interviewed and was offered a job covering a local beat in my area. I accepted the offer and in two days heard back from the editor, who said: "Our publisher wants to open up the recruiting process and find some more applicants." Meanwhile, I sent out my resume for an actual sports reporter position and was again offered, this time a part-time gig. Here's my question:

Was I right in reevaluating my options and looking for another job, this time in sports? I personally feel it was my right, considering that they offered me the job only to take it back.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not sure I understand. Do you work for these people and were looking at a different job?

If you were hoping to work for them and they pulled the rug like that, you don't owe them nothing. Well, I'd key the publisher's car, but that's just me.

3. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

Yes, your above quote hit the nail on the head. I never worked for them. It wasn't a glamorous position in the first place. I figured I'd start working under the company until a sports position opened up. Now I'm hopefully headed to a part-timer covering volleyball (anything to get me started on right track).

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So you took a part-time job at the same company? If that's the case, if they contact you again about the full-time job, I'd say that you moved on.

No reason for you to sit and wait while they fiddled around some more.

5. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

No Ace, it's another (daily) company. The initial job offer was from a weekley, covering education and government

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You've got no worries, then.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Man, fuck those guys, dawg.

Seriously, if they're the type of company that offers jobs to people, then reneges and opens the search again, I don't think you want to work for them anyway.

8. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

What Barsuk said.
    They offered you a job, and you accepted, then they pulled it back to "find some more applicants"? Fuck 'em. If that's how they treat people, you don't owe them anything.

9. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

Yea, I agree with all of you. Thanks a lot. And to think, I was thisclose to covering board meetings for them. Good heavens.

Draft saved Draft deleted