1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job openings and race...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CopyGK, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CopyGK

CopyGK New Member

Is anyone tired of people being hired not because of their skills but because they fit a demographic, i.e. female in a sports department, being a minority, or even better, a female minority in a sports department? It is getting to the point where it is ridiculous. A paper could get a ton of qualified applicants from the outside and still hire someone internally that isn't the most qualified applicant, just because they fit a certain role, ethnically, and it makes THEM LOOK GOOD. And then it's up to the assigning editors and copy desk to clean up their crap when they inevitably get names wrong, dates wrong, scores wrong, and even better, can't write a complete sentence?

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Come to think of it, I am tired of that. I'm glad you brought it up. You clearly bring a unique insight to this board, and I welcome you.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

So I'm guessing you're not Scoop Jackson.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Looks like SOMEONE just got turned down for a new gig . . . . . .

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Somebody needs a good ass-kicking. There are far, far, far more incompetent white males occupying space in sports departments than incompetent females or minorities.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

We need more diverse incompetence!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.