1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job moves and getting out of leases

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cubman, Aug 9, 2007.

1. cubman

cubman Member

Likely the next week or two. I just don't want to get to that point and then have to decide what I'm doing, so that's why I plan to talk to the rental office very soon to see what can be done.
    Mizzou, I agree about subletting. The more I think about it, the less I see it as a viable option, even though one of my longtime buddies has said he'd be up for it if needed. From your same post, I am hesitant to skip out on three months rent. I have excellent credit and have no desire to chance hurting that if I can do something better — but I'd be very happy if that strategy worked!

2. BRoth

BRoth Member

I actually moved into my current apartment because the guy before me signed a lease and less than halfway through got a job elsewhere. My landlord was upset, but he seemed happy that he found someone quickly to take over the apartment. He just let the guy leave and put an ad in the paper for the place where I am now. I started my lease and the other guy moved out.

To boot, the previous tenant couldn't move all his furniture out in time, so he paid my first month's rent to leave his stuff in the apartment for a week. Nice deal all around.

My landlord is a pretty nice guy, so this may be an exception. But, I imagine if yours is halfway human you could convince them to let you out if you let them know in advance.

Draft saved Draft deleted