1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job interview question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lollygaggers, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

I'm going to interview with a sports magazine, and one of the things they want me to do while I'm there is cover an event locally and write a gamer, just to see how I do. They're also going to use the story on their Web site as their official gamer for the event. I'm worried about whether that would violate any policy at the paper I'm currently at (and yes, I'm going to look it up in our handbook to make sure), but whether it does or not, should I mention it to our SE just to be safe? I wasn't planning on talking to him about it unless I got offered the position, then I would bring it up before giving my answer, but finding out they're going to actually use my story threw me a but of a curveball. Thoughts?

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I had that situation at an interview, but I told my editor I was interviewing beforehand. He was a good guy and I felt I should tell him.

But you don't want your SE to come up with a copy of the story and ask you what's going on. Just check your handbook, etc.

3. Cover the event, and kindly ask the magazine to refrain from using your byline.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Any time you have an interview, your boss should know. Period. It's one thing not to tell him everything you apply for...hell, you might not even get called.

But once you make interview stage? He/she damn well better know about it. Better all around.

5. captzulu

captzulu Member

I've never understood this point. That's not how it's done in most other businesses, so why this one? I can understand telling your boss if it means you'll be gone for 2-3 days and won't be able to cover your beat. But why is it considered "customary" to tell your boss that you're looking for another job before you have an offer, thus putting yourself at risk of being shown the door with no backup plan?

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree.

Why would anyone tell their boss of an upcoming interview?

First of all, it's none of their business and secondly, you've just exposed yourself.

And even if it's for 2-3 days, take vacation time or "personal" time.

You tell the boss AFTER they've offered you the job.

T

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Maybe I've been lucky to always work for people who aren't assholes, and who appreciated honesty.

8. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Depends on the job, IMO.

If I'm gonna interview at one of the big-girl places, then I'd definitely tell my boss because he/she most likely won't hold me back from moving up the ladder.

Now, if it's a job that's 5 miles down the road - um, well, I'd probably not let on that I was interviewing. Of course, it's all contingent on your direct supervisor as well. Every situation is different based on my previous job experiences.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's got nothing to do with honesty.

Why would you? Why does he/she need to know?

There is nothing to be gained.

If you don't get the job, you've sent your boss a distinct message, "I'm just biding my time here until I find something better".

If you get the job, you're gone anyway, so who cares?

Makes no sense whatsoever.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

It was the way I was raised, it was an understanding I have had with each boss I've had, and it's common decency.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, we'll agree to disagree.

Must be a cultural thing. I don't know of any situation where I (or anyone I've worked with) would do that.

If one of my staff came into my office to tell they had a job interview, my reaction would be, "So what?"

And then I'd start looking for a replacement.

12. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

letting your boss know about the interview is a tough issue... probably depends on who your supervisor is. I know at my last stop, the SE made it very clear to his higher ups when he was hired that he was using the gig as a stepping stone to a major metro. Everybody knew it, the EE talked about how he knew he was gonna lose this SE eventually, so that was probably a situation where if I were interviewing for another job, I'd have no problem talking to my boss about it beforehand. (I was a college part-timer there, so it was kind of expected that I'd move along at the end of the year, so I didn't really have to specifically deal with this issue there)
    Now, in my first job out of school, I still think I'd be comfortable telling my boss before the fact. he and the ME are both pretty laid back people, and both have mentioned to me 50 times in the hiring process/the short time I've been here that they understand that this is a stepping stone paper of sorts... Once I've been here awhile, if/when I start looking for a bigger gig, I'll probably be open about it. (although I love it here, so maybe I'll stay)

Draft saved Draft deleted