1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job interview pointers - phone interviews & how does this fit your career goals?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Mar 21, 2010.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Back in the job hunt game and looking for tips on two topics, please.

I'm not necessarily looking in my home state, which led me to a phone interview last week. Not Skype; a conference call.

Any pointers for these? I have absolutely no feel as to how I did. You can't read body language. I couldn't tell if people were high-fiving after my answers or rolling their eyes. How do you how to make a good impression on a phone interiew?

I really felt like, had I "tied" with a candidate who interviewed face-to-face, I would have lost due to lack of body language and eye contact. But it wasn't possible for me to travel to the city.

Second, I'm at a career crossroad. And unemployed. I could go in several different directions; the next job offer will start me down some way, and I'll follow it and work to the best of my ability. I'm too old to aspire to be X when I grow up; I've learned it doesn't work that way for me. I'd like a job that challenges me, but it doesn't matter if it's in field A, B or C.

So how do I answer the question "So, how does this job fit into your career goals?"

Any input?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

hard to answer not knowing your career goals. Only you can answer that one.

3. Moderator1

Some generic interview advice: Stop thinking of it as an interview and start thinking of it as a conversation. Just answer the questions and quit overthinking everything - give honest, complete answers. Don't overdo it. You can talk your way out of a job as easily as you can talk your way into a job.
    A good interviewer can tell - easily - if you are trying to issue the "right' answer as opposed to an honest answer.

4. Moderator1

Too generic. What challenges you? Contribute how? My challenge may be your boredom and vice versa.

Draft saved Draft deleted