1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job cuts at Orlando Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NatureBoy, May 1, 2007.

1. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Member

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That memo is the epitome of corporate speak. And it's typical bullshit, of course. We're cutting positions and killing morale, but we still have the same commitment to excellent journalism! ::)

Maybe they can unload a couple of their myriad editors and assistant editors instead of some poor schmoe on the copy desk, but I doubt it.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The memo is also a D_B of every other memo about job cuts these days.

Not sure why all newsrooms now seem to think that the magic to connecting with readers in the paper and online is take take fewer of the same people, sprinkle some fancy-sounding titles on a few and Presto! everything is fixed.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I haven't figured out how getting rid of positions ``will enable us to move more rapidly.'' Wouldn't having fewer people to do the same amount of work slow you down?

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The "How We Live Team"...yeehaw!

6. Needless to say, the Sentinel's sports staff will not be filling the recently vacated columnist positions. Too bad.

7. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Where is the next "effin' stud" gonna come from, she moans?

8. boots

boots New Member

Knowing the EE in Monterey, I know she didn't want to cut anyone.

9. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Member

I think that might be what they're trying to do ...

"This means our priority will be keeping "feet on the street"—reporters and photographers. It also means we will flatten the management structure."

Top-heavy as that paper might be, it still sucks when people get let go. I agree that the concept of "fewer people doing the same amount of work improves the paper" is confusing.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Is the sports department not included as one of the Orlando Sentinel's teams? Or are they eliminating sports all together? Or does it fit under the "how we live" team.

The Good Doctor put it best -- it is all a clean, bullshit way of saying we're killing your job and forcing the next guy to do twice as much work.

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I believe the reorganization might not affect sports that much but the job reductions will.

12. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Remember, according to the Sentinel, they're not taking your job away -- you're being separated.

What corporate bullshit.

Readers aren't stupid. They will ask how the Sentinel is promising to do better journalism, and expanding its Web presence, by eliminating separating 24 newsroom jobs.

The domino effect of layoffs continues. And the suits probably get bonuses for swinging the ax.

What corporate bullshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted