1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job Advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Matt L., Aug 31, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm no human.

Assholes.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You want to see inhuman, then somebody hire this kid.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Hell, his grammar and spelling are top notch. He's probably good enough to work for the Plain Dealer.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Way better than Ace.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Matt, you're the same age as one of my kids, so I'm going to give you some serious mom advice - no different than I'd give to my kids.

First, put together a resume. One page, list your school activities and extracurriculars (like Scouts, youth group, the volunteer work you've done - all of it.) Make sure you proof it for grammar, spelling and punctuation.

Keep in mind a job will cut into your social life and you need to be able to get your school work done same as before.

When you go in and apply, look the part. Neat clothes, no tears in them, hair combed - think dressing for church (or whatever place of worship you attend.)

Apply at all of them, you don't apply for a job and just get it. You may get turned down. Don't take it personally.

Remember a job is a serious responsibility and commitment. Be on time - early is better - do your job the best you can and don't sluff off. Don't call in sick because you don't feel like going to work. You made the commitment, stick to it.

Make sure you have a dependable way to get to work.

Have you discussed this with your mom? If you haven't, do it.

Finally, does your mother know you visit this board? With some of the stuff on this board, I wouldn't want my 16-year-old visiting here.

Good luck.

And for any of you who may be thinking of tearing this kid up, don't. Leave him be. This thread is so far, so good. I expect it to stay that way.

6. ArnoldBabar

Now that you mention it, I'm in Cleveland right now and have not seen Ace's byline.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I imagine that every day, Ace sits down and types:

Ace Reporter
    Not The Plain Dealer

And some poor copy editor has to change it, every time.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You shouldn't be reading the P-D then. Check the Beacon-Journal. Better.

9. ArnoldBabar

Nope, not seeing him in the B-J (huh huh) either.

10. imjustagirl

I didn't mean to look for him.

Just to look for journalism.

11. ArnoldBabar

Ah. To be honest, I haven't read either one. I just try to write my own shit and GTFO. And yes, I realize that with an attitude like that I will never work at the Plain Dealer.

12. imjustagirl

I watched my future husband make a really good play today. You got to see it in person.

I'm jealous.

Draft saved Draft deleted