1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JKidd files for divorce, charges wife with child abuse and extreme cruelty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Jan 9, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Re: JKidd accuses wife of child abuse

Those children, especially the boy, are the definition of fuck trophies. I feel bad for them.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Before shooting free throws, will he now put his middle finger up instead of blowing a kiss?

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

If Jason Kidd had played in the SEC, this never would have happened.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I've always despised him for that bullshit kiss blowing. Everybody knew he was a wife beater and it just seemed disingenuous. "Look everyone, I love my wife! I'm blowing her kisses instead of hitting her!"

I can't speak to what she may or may not do to their children, but the accuser here is someone who spit in his wife's face and then punched her IN FRONT OF THEIR SON.

I'm just glad someone else has taken his mantle as the poster boy of the league. The 2002 season made me want to puke. The NBA made him the poster boy because he passed a lot, despite his arrest for spousal abuse only a year earlier. And they wonder why they have image problems?

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Poor kid, having to grow up in that house.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Bigpern -- they were an incredible team to watch that year and he was playing out of his mind for NJ for the two years before his knee started acting up. Much like Nash, he plays the game the way that a purist enjoys.

Having said that, I agree that, if what he was accused of is true, he is an awful human being.

8. Re: JKidd accuses wife of child abuse

Didn't Bob Ryan get suspended for saying he wanted to smack Kidd's wife? Or am I thinking of someone else?

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You are correct. I think about three years ago.

10. bigpern23

It is true ... and he was only fined $200 and sent to anger management for doing it. I'm just saying that the NBA shouldn't wonder why it has image problems when it made Kidd a major part of its self-promotion a year after he punched his wife in the face.

Yes, he did. I think he was ranting about how she brought her son to the Celtics game (in Boston) and sat in the front row and then complained when the fans all chanted "Wife Beater." I think he was basically saying he'd like to smack her (a phrase he says he uses all the time) for not realizing what was going to happen when she sat in the front row at the FleetCenter.

It was a poor choice of words, particularly in light of Jason Kidd beating her, but the whole thing was overblown.

11. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Big Pern,

I agree with everything you said about Kidd. But it's nothing new for the NBA to trot out poster boys with skeletons in the closet or questionable character.

The guys who saved the NBA in the 80s-90s: Bird (had a daughter that he didn't acknowledge for years. Side note - he's my favorite ever); Jordan (gambling, extra-marital activity); Magic (retired because of AIDS. He didn't get the disease because he was being a responsible person).

You've got Wilt Chamberlain, who bragged about sleeping with thousands of women. AI, who has had numerous off-court headline-grabbing incidents. One of the current posterboys, Carmelo, sucker-punched a guy and then ran like a wuss

Lord help the league if anything happens with LeBron.

Sir Charles was right all along: These guys are not role models.

12. bigpern23

True, though I would probably exclude a few from your list. Jordan gambling, carousing with women is no big deal. Magic got HIV (I'm not sure it ever progressed to AIDS) because he was sleeping around. Again, no big deal.

Gambling and sleeping around just aren't a big deal to me. Man wants to get his winky wet, go ahead. Woman wants to sleep with pro athlete, it's her perogative. I have a hard time getting worked up over a consensual act between two adults.

Even Carmelo sucker punching someone isn't a huge deal in to me. I've been in fights on the field and it's generally not a place where a lot of clear thinking is going on. And while, yes, it was a cheap shot, I understand that he's coming in to protect his teammates. It was a heated game and things happen.

Hitting a woman is a much bigger deal and much bigger black eye (please excuse the pun) for the league.

The NBA has never held up Iverson as one its golden boys. He never would have sold the league to old white guys, after all.

I didn't know that about Bird.

I've just never seen the NBA so blatantly ignore a player's character the way they did with Kidd. They even stopped promoting Kobe during his trial. He's used a bit more now, but certainly not at the level he was before the rape accusations, and I think the fact that he was acquitted is a major reason they use him to promote the league at all right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted